Gophers football player under investigation

This investigation is the latest in a string of crimes allegedly committed by Gophers athletes.

Another Gophers football player is a suspect in a crime near campus. Gophers freshman linebacker Sam Maresh is accused of assaulting University of Minnesota student Theodore Randall on the morning of Nov. 9 at the intersection of 21st and Como avenues, according to Minneapolis police. Randall said he was assaulted by a University athlete who was referred to by others at the scene as âÄúSam.âÄù He identified Maresh based on photos he found on the Internet. Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia said Maresh is a suspect; however, no charges have been filed. Specific details of the event are unknown, but according to a police report, Randall was taken by ambulance to a hospital, which he identified as Hennepin County Medical Center, following the early-morning assault. He was later released and reported the incident at a police station. Randall declined to elaborate further on the incident. Athletics Communications Director Garry Bowman also declined to comment on the details but said University officials had received a contrasting view of the events. âÄúThe information we have is different,âÄù Bowman said. Maresh received national media attention after he underwent open heart surgery in June 2008. Following a significant period of recovery, as well as the diagnosis of a benign growth in his leg, Maresh returned to football this season but has seen little playing time. This is the latest in a string of crimes allegedly committed by Gophers athletes, including a brawl potentially involving defensive back Gary Tinsley and an alleged assault by reserve defensive back Nathan Tow-Arnett. âÄúWith any athlete, whether itâÄôs pro or Division I, the athletes are going to be looked at in a different way than the average student,âÄù Garcia said.