Briefs: Mbakwe’s trial delayed again

Gophers forward Trevor Mbakwe battles for a rebound at the Howard Pulley Pro Summer League in St. Paul.
Image by Mark Vancleave

The University of Minnesota menâÄôs basketball junior Trevor MbakweâÄôs trial, which was set to begin July 26, has been moved back yet again to Aug. 23 due to a conflict with the judgeâÄôs schedule. Mbakwe is facing charges of felony assault from an alleged incident that occurred last April in Miami and has yet to suit up for the Gophers. Last month, Mbakwe said that if his trial was delayed again and Minnesota Athletics Director Joel Maturi doesnâÄôt lift his ban from playing, âÄúmost likely I will for sure leave [the Gophers].âÄù Maturi told the Pioneer Press last week he may lift the ban and let Mbakwe play next season, even if charges are still pending. Mbakwe was able to redshirt last season, but Maturi reasoned that continuing to suspend him as his trial remains unresolved could cost Mbakwe a year of eligibility. He has two years of eligibility left. In May, Maturi and head coach Tubby Smith granted Mbakwe permission to explore his transfer options. âÄúIt’s my understanding that as a defendant, he has a right to a quick trial,âÄù Maturi told the Pioneer Press. âÄúI’ve shared that with Trevor âĦ If it’s now Aug. 23, then it could still be resolved before school starts. If not, then I’m certainly open to review why it is not and look at the decision that was made.âÄù Incoming womenâÄôs basketball player leaves team Incoming freshman guard Janelle Cannon left the Minnesota womenâÄôs basketball team for personal reasons, the team announced this week. Cannon led Wheeling High School in Illinois to a 26-5 record in 2009-2010. Tinsley appears in court Minnesota junior linebacker Gary Tinsley appeared in Hennepin County District Court last week on charges of fleeing a police officer and fourth-degree drunken driving. Another hearing is scheduled for Aug. 4. In April, Tinsley was spotted by police driving the wrong way on a one-way street along with another individual on their mo-peds in southeast Minneapolis. The officers pursued Tinsley and the individual, who drove their mo-peds on sidewalks and yards until attempting to flee on foot. After all three of the Gophers starting linebackers graduated at the end of last season, Tinsley was expected to make a big impact on the GophersâÄô young defense. Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster said in April that he likely wonâÄôt make a decision on TinsleyâÄôs status with the team until the legal process has taken its course. Gophers hockey recruit suffers wrist injury Ben Marshall, a member of the Minnesota menâÄôs hockey teamâÄôs 2011 recruiting class and the Detroit Red WingsâÄô seventh-round pick in last monthâÄôs NHL entry draft, tore ligaments in his wrist during an NHL development camp last week, according to the Red Wings. âÄúI guess I have ligaments that are torn off some bones, and I might have fractured my growth plate,âÄù he said, according to the teamâÄôs website. Marshall is forgoing his senior year of high school to play in the United States Hockey League with the Omaha Lancers, and heâÄôs scheduled to move to Omaha on Aug. 7. âÄúThe season doesnâÄôt start till Sept. 1, so IâÄôm sure IâÄôll be fine by then, hopefully,âÄù he said. Marshall wonâÄôt know what the extent of his injury is until he sees doctors in Minnesota, but he said heâÄôs sure heâÄôll need surgery. Tank leaves for Iowa State Former Minnesota menâÄôs golf associate head coach Andrew Tank was named the new head coach for the Iowa State menâÄôs golf team last week. âÄúI am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead a program that I believe in,âÄù Tank said in a statement. âÄúI have always followed the Cyclones and after meeting with the administration and others on campus, my belief in the program is now even stronger.âÄù Tank was a coach for the Gophers for eight years and was the captain of the 2002 Minnesota menâÄôs golf team that won the NCAA championship. Football team lands handful of new recruits The Minnesota football team gained several verbal commitments for the class of 2011, as first reported by Rivals.com. Edina wide receiver Devin Crawford-Tufts , linebacker Marquise Vann, and twin offensive lineman Kyle and Luke McAvoy will all join the Gophers in 2011. MenâÄôs swimming adds four Four newcomers will join the menâÄôs swimming and diving team for the 2010 season, Minnesota head coach Dennis Dale announced Monday. Incoming freshmen Danny Brebrick and Stephen Meyer have signed Acceptance of Admission forms to join the team next season. North Dakota transfer Nathan Jobe and College of New Jersey transfer Mike Vernoia will also join Minnesota after spending the past two seasons at their respective colleges.