Festival offers music and food

A crowd standing on a booth-lined lawn Wednesday evening in front of Minnesota’s Capitol heard the verses of rock group Eric Burdon and War’s music not once, but twice.
The music traveled from the main stage in front of the Capitol and bounced off a government building two blocks away. It echoed back to mix with sounds of other music groups, comedians, concession workers and festival goers at the Taste of Minnesota.
The festival, with 40 restaurants, more than 100 vendors and 50 plus bands, started Wednesday and continues through Sunday. It runs 11 a.m to 11 p.m. in front of the Capitol in St. Paul. About 50,000 people attended the first day, and a total of 350,000 are expected by the end of the festival.
“It is the largest free festival in the state of Minnesota,” said festival coordinator Ron Maddox. “It got started because a guy wrote a letter to Dick Broeker in the mayor’s office and me — I was the president of City Council — wanting a taste of Minnesota.”
“We have four cities that are honored guests that we invite to show their best wares,” Maddox said. The cities include Moorhead, Grand Rapids, Duluth and Alexandria.
Four hundred to 500 students are hired for the festival.
Dave Martineau, who will be a freshman at the University next year, worked at a hamburger stand. “For me, it’s pretty rotten. It’s not the best job,” he said as he flipped burgers.
Steve Frias, who graduated from the University with a business degree, has found the Taste of Minnesota good exposure for the Mexican restaurant he owns.
“It’s a continuous party all day long while you’re working,” Frias said. “It’s fast-paced. You’re meeting someone new every second.”
Along with foods ranging from walleye fingers to frozen custard, the Taste of Minnesota offers rides, games and fireworks all five nights.
One University student is a Taste of Minnesota veteran. Emily Jensen, who will be a freshman at the University this fall, said she has fond memories of seeing Alanis Morrisette there last year. She also said she likes to come for all the little shops.
Kathy Kranstover, who has worked with the festival since it started 14 years ago, said the festival has become less “rock’n’roll” and more family-oriented since it began. But Kranstover, who has worked with a variety of festivals for 22 years, added, “It’s been a success from the first year.”