A capella group to offer singing valentines

The seven songs cost $15 each

If you see a group of men sporting pink, red and white t-shirts singing love songs in public places around the University of Minnesota campus this ValentineâÄôs Day , donâÄôt be surprised. ThatâÄôs just Basses Wild , the 12-member, self-proclaimed âÄúfirst male a capella student group on campus.âÄù The group has and will be taking orders for âÄúsinging valentines.âÄù One song costs $15, and two can be performed for $20. The singing valentines were organized by Xander Castro , the member in charge of promotions for the event. He said the idea came from singing telegrams offered at his high school. The group thought it would be a great idea to service the University community by performing a selection of songs in the spirit of the holiday. Castro said the group originally wanted to sing songs by request, but ultimately decided it was best to have a select number of memorized songs prepared so each performance could be top notch. Some songs were selected from material Basses Wild used last semester and others were chosen based on music availability and recognition. âÄúWe wanted to perform songs people would have heard of,âÄù Castro said. The group came to a consensus on seven songs ranging from cutesy and sappy to straight up provocative. The list includes: âÄúThe Longest TimeâÄù by Billy Joel ; âÄúCanâÄôt Take My Eyes Off Of YouâÄù by Frankie Valli ; âÄúNever Gonna Give You UpâÄù by Rick Astley ; âÄúIn The Still Of The NightâÄù by Cole Porter ; âÄúSince YouâÄôve Been GoneâÄù by Weird Al Yankovich and both the edited and explicit version of âÄú(Expletive) Her GentlyâÄù by Tenacious D. Derek Ahl , a sophomore horticulture student, heard about this event because one of the group members is in his fraternity. Ahl requested that a song be performed for his girlfriend in a private place, because he said his girlfriend is the bashful type and because he chose the song, ([Expletive] Her Gently). Ahl said that his girlfriend likes the song, so hopefully he can score points. The service is not just for sweethearts; Bailey Murphy , a junior communications studies major, requested that Basses Wild perform two songs for her sorority sisters. Murphy said some of the girls in her sorority arenâÄôt into the holiday and not all of them have significant others so she thought this would be âÄúa cute idea.âÄù Castro said the group is not looking for a profit from this event, but rather to share their music. However, the event is technically a fundraiser for the group. Proceeds will cover music printing costs for each of the members. One of Basses WildâÄôs long-term goals is to set up a scholarship fund for students at the University that are passionate about music. One of the ways they hope to establish this is by expanding their singing services beyond ValentineâÄôs Day. Castro said the group would like to perform for other special occasions like birthdays, but a request in advance would be necessary. The group is taking orders until Saturday at noon, and information can be found on their Facebook event page. Basses Wild will be performing between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. on ValentineâÄôs Day. So far, the group has nine reservations.