Concerts to raise money for local clinic

The clinic provides free or reduced-rate care to residents of the Phillips area.

Stiff drinks, blasting tunes and medical students will fill the Turf Club in St. Paul tonight in support of a local clinic.

The Rock for PNC event supports the Phillips Neighborhood Clinic and is the first benefit concert for the clinic, said Nate Scott, medical student and clinic board member.

University students help operate the clinic, which serves residents of the Phillips neighborhood by providing free or reduced-cost health care, Scott said.

The clinic is open Monday nights, but money raised from the concert might be used to expand clinic hours, said Leah Schafers, nursing senior and president of Center for Health Interprofessional Programs Executive Council.

“We’re always looking to expand the clinic,” Scott said.

Clinic patients pay on a sliding scale, he said.

“Some patients have their own insurance or are assisted by the state,” Scott said.

Students from the Center for Health Interprofessional Programs Executive Council worked with the clinic board to organize the event, center Program Assistant Kassy Nystrom said.

The center brings students from the six schools in the University Academic Health Center together through social functions and lectures.

The schools within the center are: the Medical School, School of Dentistry, School of Nursing, School of Public Health, College of Pharmacy and College of Veterinary Medicine.

Medical student and center Executive Council Member Kevin Campbell said students in the program chose to raise money for the clinic because it would affect a variety of students and their work in the community.

Campbell said the fundraiser is expected to draw 250 to 300 people and will feature performances by St. Elia, Hanz Eric and the Hims, and Parts of All Makes.

Before the last band takes the stage, three male medical students will be “up for grabs” in a date auction.

The clinic also receives funding through a silent auction in November every year, along with donations and grants, Scott said.

Freelance Editor Emily Kaiser welcomes feedback at [email protected].