New program would help bridge the gap

A new master’s program offers industry-oriented academic focus.

When students graduate from the University of Minnesota, many of them will encounter a frenzied transition into the workforce. This change can be a difficult one, as students must translate their educational experience into industry know-how. University programs that provide students with practical knowledge and hands-on experience tailored for specific careers undoubtedly help facilitate a smoother transition.

The University will begin offering a medical device master’s program in June, the Minnesota Daily reported Jan. 22. The program, which will be run through the College of Science and Engineering, is designed to give students a more practical understanding of the medical device industry.

Minnesota is home to a significant share of the nation’s growing medical device industry, and many University graduates go on to work for companies like St. Jude Medical, Medtronic and 3M, where they will assist in the engineering of medical devices and the design of other health care products. The Daily reported the program will teach students about “public policy, regulation, business and project management and the economics and market of the industry.”

Programs like these that combine industry know-how with engineering technical knowledge are important in helping students bridge the gap between their education in the classroom and their professional interests. For engineering students interested in a more consumer-oriented career, as opposed to working as an operations or project engineer, the medical device master’s program offers an important gateway into the
business. 

The University should continue to look for ways to help students successfully integrate their academic focus into career readiness.