Posters, photos stolen from Bierman

A 6-by-4 poster of former Minnesota basketball player Jim Shikenjanski was ripped from its frame and stolen Saturday night from the balcony of Bierman/Gibson-Nagurski Athletic Facility.
Two large football photographs were also taken Saturday night near the football locker rooms.
The thieves took the print of the basketball player from inside the frame, but removed the entire 3-by-4.5 frames of the two football pictures.
Scott Schmitt, who has worked at Bierman for the past two years, discovered the pictures missing Saturday morning. He said all three pictures were hanging on the walls Friday night when he left the building.
Schmitt, an education graduate student, said this was the first time in his memory that any pictures were taken from the memorabilia-laden walls of the athletics center.
Anyone who works in Bierman, including athletes, trainers, managers and coaches, have access to the building, Schmitt said.
University Police have no suspects and are awaiting new information before proceeding with the investigation.
There are no security cameras in the area where the items were stolen.
In other police news:
ù Three University students might not attend the final three games of the University men’s hockey season even though they have already paid for their tickets.
The three freshmen were cited last Friday evening for underage drinking during the Gophers men’s hockey game against Colorado College at Mariucci Arena.
Arena security officers observed the men fighting over a soda and asked University Police to escort them out of the arena.
University Police said one of the men had his hand around the neck of another and was apparently choking him.
The officers asked the three men to leave their seats and come up to the concourse to talk about the incident.
The students were reluctant to cooperate with police officers and refused to leave their seats until more officers appeared on the scene.
Police administered a portable breath test that revealed the three men were intoxicated. University Police said each of the men had a blood alcohol content of about .15 percent.
University Police Lt. Rick Giese turned their season tickets, valued at $181 each, into the ticket office and recommended that the tickets be revoked for the rest of the season.
Dan Teschke, interim ticket manager for men’s athletics, said that at this point the office has revoked their three season tickets, but he is waiting to speak with Giese to decide if the tickets should be returned.
Teschke said he wants to make sure he has all the facts before permanently revoking the tickets. He plans to make his decision before the Gophers’ next home game on Feb. 25 against the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
ù A University student is still looking for his car after someone moved it from a garage and into the adjacent street with a sign that read “Free car, please take.”
According to police reports, the 27-year-old dentistry student parked his 1988 maroon Ford Tempo before midnight Saturday in a garage on southeast Essex Street Southeast. He left the car key in the vehicle in case someone needed to get into the garage.
The theft occurred either Sunday or Monday morning.

Thomas Douty covers police and courts and welcomes comments at [email protected]. He can also be reached at 627-4070 x3233.