After run-in, police ban man from campus

The man, who has a history of criminal sexual conduct, has been banned from campuses before.

University of Minnesota police issued a trespass warning Thursday to a Minneapolis man who has been banned from Minnesota colleges in the past.

Larry James Pinkney, 62, allegedly harassed several students and two staff members at the Social Sciences Building last week, according to a University police report.

Police delivered a trespass warning to Pinkney at his Minneapolis home. If he returns to campus in the next year, he’ll be arrested, said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.

Pinkney has also been banned from area schools University of St. Thomas and Macalester College in the past.

Two staff members found Pinkney interviewing several students in a conference room at about 5 p.m., April 5. Pinkney showed them credentials and said he was a journalist and was interviewing the students for research.

The staff members asked him to leave the building, which was closed and told him the conference room was reserved for a private meeting, the report said. Pinkney then allegedly became hostile but left the area after being repeatedly told to leave.

The Institute for Global Studies sent out a department-wide email Wednesday detailing the incident and warning students and staff about Pinkney.

After the incident, Pinkney sent an email to several University administrators saying he was a journalist trying to interview students and was treated unfairly by the staff members.

Pinkney requested “specific written guidelines” from the University on its treatment of journalists, according to the email posted on the Black Activist Writers Guild website.

The behavior of the staff members “was extremely reprehensible, provocative, inexcusable, and absolutely contrary to the self-description by the Institute for Global Studies (IGS),” Pinkney wrote.

Pinkney has had articles published online for the Black Activist Writer’s Guild. He was also a panelist at a 2011 conference at Syracuse University College of Law.

On his website, Pinkney describes himself as an author and activist.

The staff members who confronted Pinkney declined to comment out of fear for their safety.

St. Thomas issued a press release in October 2005 warning its students about Pinkney.

Pinkney was at the time forbidden from coming within 1,500 feet of any college in the state, according to the release.

He was convicted of two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct in the ’90s.

University police also found an old report showing that Pinkney had harassed people at the Kitty Cat Klub in Dinkytown in the past.