Minnesota nice, Minnesota pretty

The University of Minnesota lays claim to an exceptional campus.

During their time here, University of Minnesota students will become familiar with the “Minnesota nice” tradition, and many will leave the University having been instilled with values of generosity and politeness.

But these traits will not prevent past and present University students from standing up for their school when it’s unfairly critiqued.

Travel and Leisure Magazine placed the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota on its list of “America’s Ugliest College Campuses,” which was published in the magazine’s October issue. But from the short description of campus by Travel and Leisure writer Ivan Spencer, it seems as though he has never actually visited the University. His description of Coffman Union is set to a picture that displays only a small part of Coffman with the Malcolm Moos Health Sciences Tower in the background.

Spencer calls the campus “Brutalist” and slams its industrial architecture. In fact, only a handful of campus buildings have any traits of Brutalism, and they give campus a modernist, diverse edge.

Spencer fails to mention the unique artistry of the Weisman Art Museum or the collegiate atmosphere of Northrop Mall. Not to mention a student favorite, the changing leaves during the fall along the Mississippi River — a breathtaking sight from the Washington Avenue Bridge.

On behalf of roughly 52,000 “nice” students at the University, we invite Spencer to come take a look at this “ugly” campus for himself; if he doesn’t eat his words, maybe a slice of Mesa Pizza will keep him quiet.