Live Blog: Gophers football at Ohio State

Saturday’s coverage from Ohio Stadium.
Gophers FB vs Purdue
Image by Matt Mead
Gophers FB vs Purdue

Final score – OHIO STATE 38, GOPHERS 7. 4:15 4th – Gophers freshman quarterback MarQueis Gray leads his first scoring drive, completing all four of his pass attempts for 43 total yards, finishing with a 16-yard touchdown pass to Stoudermire. Gray also rushed twice for 32 yards. Drive: 7 plays, 78 yards, 3:16. OHIO STATE 38, GOPHERS 7. 7:37 4th – Pettrey kicks a 44-yard field goal. Drive: 4 plays, 3 yards, 1:37. OHIO STATE 38, GOPHERS 0. Buckeyes backup quarterback Joe Bauserman leads the offense onto the field as they start from the Minnesota 30. 9:14 4th – Weber throws to wide receiver Da’Jon McKnight, who falls down on the play, allowing Buckeyes strong safety Kurt Coleman to intercept the pass. 11:28 4th – Buckeyes running back Jermil Martin runs 39 yards for a touchdown. Drive: 4 plays, 55 yards, 1:49. OHIO STATE 35, GOPHERS 0. 13:17 4th – The steady rainfall and the Gophers’ struggles have become enough reason for fans to head for the exits. On the field, Weber throws an interception into the hands of Buckeyes linebacker Austin Spitler at the Ohio State 45-yard line. End 3rd – The Gophers are in the midst of a 38-yard drive that will resume to start the fourth quarter at the Ohio State 45-yard line with a first down. That’s about all that is going well for Minnesota. OHIO STATE 28, GOPHERS 0. 2:53 3rd – Allen is given the kick-returning duties, taking it from the 5-yard line to the 17. 2:59 3rd – On the third play of the drive, Pryor finds Posey open on the left side for a 57-yard touchdown, the second touchdown pass of more than 50 yards from Pryor to Posey. Every Buckeyes scoring drive has lasted less than two minutes. Drive: 3 plays, 69 yards, 1:10. OHIO STATE 28, GOPHERS 0. 4:09 3rd – The Gophers go three and out; Haudan punts to the Buckeyes 31. 5:55 3rd – Stoudermire drops his third consecutive kickoff, this time near the goal line. He returns it to the Minnesota 17. 6:00 3rd – Buckeyes freshman tailback Jordan Hall rushes 11 yards for a touchdown. Drive: 5 plays, 22 yards, 1:53. OHIO STATE 21, GOPHERS 0. 7:05 3rd – Pryor is within sight of another rushing touchdown, but a holding penalty on Posey pushes Ohio State to the Minnesota 16 for second and 4. 7:53 3rd – On the first play of the drive, Weber pulls his arm back to throw, but brings it forward without the football. The fumble was forced by defensive tackle John Simon and recovered by defensive end Thaddeus Gibson at the Gophers 22. 8:02 3rd – The Gophers defense makes another stop. Allen calls for a fair catch at the Minnesota 22. 11:20 3rd – The Ohio State sports information department announces that Buckeyes junior tailback Brandon Saine is being tested for a concussion. 13:34 3rd – An illegal block-in-the-back penalty pushes the Gophers back from their own 12 to their own 6 off of a kickoff. 13:43 3rd – It couldn’t have been much worse to start the second half for the Gophers. Decker walked to the sideline with crutches and a boot on his left foot instead of a jersey and pads. A short kickoff is fumbled by Stoudermire and recovered by Ohio State at the 31-yard line. Three plays later, Pryor runs 15 yards to the right for a touchdown. Drive: 3 plays, 31 yards, 1:14. OHIO STATE 14, GOPHERS 0. The Gophers are certainly hanging tough. If not for an ugly mishap in pass coverage, this game could be scoreless. Minnesota’s secondary did make a big play to preserve the one-score game when Theret took a touchdown reception away from Sanzenbacher. Minnesota seems a little better off than it was at halftime at Penn State last week. The defense has come up with a couple of stops. The Gophers allowed the Buckeyes to convert five of 10 third-down chances and hold the ball for 17:25. The big difference from last week is the Gophers went into the locker room off of a big stop rather than a deflating touchdown. A huge factor will be Decker’s health. He did not appear on the field in the second quarter. If the Gophers are going to win it, they might need to do it with some other playmakers. Halftime – OHIO STATE 7, GOPHERS 0. 0:31 2nd – Senior safety Kyle Theret intercepts Pryor’s pass just inside the goal line and returns it to the Minnesota 5. The pass was intended for wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher, but Theret took it out of his arms for his first pick of the season. The sea of red falls silent. 1:48 2nd – Pryor completes his second straight pass to Sanzenbacher to start the drive. He hit him for 17 yards before finding him for a 27-yard gain to the Gophers 42 on the next play. 2:16 2nd – Haudan makes his fifth punt of the game, which is downed by the Gophers at the Ohio State 14-yard line. A stop before the half could be big for Minnesota. 3:42 2nd – On third and 4, Weber completes a 13-yard pass to Stoudermire for a first down at the Minnesota 38. 4:33 2nd – The Gophers benefit from a false-start penalty on Ohio State and force a punt. The Buckeyes down a 21-yard punt at the Gophers 19-yard line. 6:53 2nd – Holding on the Buckeyes negates a run by Pryor for a first down. Ohio State will instead have second and 6 at midfield. 7:00 2nd – Pryor tries to throw deep to Posey on the left side, but senior cornberback Marcus Sherels hits Posey as the ball touches his hands, breaking up the pass. 7:38 2nd – Minnesota stops Saine a yard short of the first down, but also claims to have recovered a fumble. The Gophers challenge and the play is upheld as down by contact, setting up third and 1 for Ohio State. 9:47 2nd – On a first-down play action play, Pryor hits a wide open Posey, who was open by at least 10 yards from the nearest Gophers defender. Badly blown coverage results in an easy score for the second time in three weeks. Drive: 2 plays, 75 yards, 0:25. OHIO STATE 7, GOPHERS 0. 10:03 2nd – After the Gophers stopped a reverse rush by Small, the Gophers’ Small (defensive tackle Eric) is called for a late-hit penalty, moving the Buckeyes 15 yards for a first down at their 38-yard line. 10:12 2nd – The Gophers drive ended with senior Blake Haudan’s 50-yard punt and an 18-yard return by Small to the Buckeyes 25. Decker was not on the field during the last drive. The television announcers said earlier in the drive that Decker appeared to hurt his ankle on a sideline catch during the previous drive, and that he was hobbling a little on a later play of the same drive during the first quarter. 12:43 2nd – On second and 10 at the Gophers 6, Weber completes a slant pass to Bryant Allen for 19 yards and a first down. It is Allen’s first career reception. 13:27 2nd – The Gophers stop Ohio State and force a punt, which is downed at the Minnesota 6 by Buckeyes punt coverage. Start 2nd – Television shows head coach Tim Brewster talking to Stoudermire on the Gophers sideline. End 1st – Because of the penalty, Ohio State is able to run its first down play as an un-timed down from its 23 rather than its 8. Saine rushes for 15 yards to the Buckeyes 38. 0:00 1st – On the punt, Buckeyes returner Ray Small calls for a fair catch when Gophers sophomore Troy Stoudermire is within five yards. Stoudermire tries to avoid Small but bumps him, causing a penalty for kick-catch interference. Stoudermire is shown on television to be arguing with a Minnesota coach on the sideline after the play. 0:04 1st – Junior quarterback Adam Weber throws incomplete to Brandon Green on third down, forcing a Gophers punt. 0:42 1st – Six seconds are put back on the clock as the call is overturned, setting up third and 5 for the Gophers at the Ohio State 42. 0:36 1st – Freshman running back Kevin Whaley carries the ball to the Ohio State 42 on second and 11, but loses the ball, and Buckeyes defensive end Thaddeus Gibson recovers it at the same spot. The play is being reviewed as to whether Whaley was down before the ball came out. 2:59 1st – Gray throws his first collegiate completion to senior wide receiver Eric Decker for 8 yards to the Minnesota 34-yard line for a first down. 3:40 1st – Buckeyes kicker Aaron Pettrey misses a 30-yard field-goal attempt wide left, keeping it scoreless after Ohio State drove 78 yards in 19 plays over the last . 4:22 1st – Pryor throws to wide receiver DeVier Posey in the end zone, but senior cornerback Traye Simmons times his tackle of Posey to break up the pass. 5:25 1st – After Pryor is stopped 1 yard short of a first down on a third-down rush, Ohio State goes for it on fourth and 1 inside the Gophers 15. Tailback Brandon Saine takes the ball 2 yards for a first down. 8:28 1st – Off of first-down play action, Pryor throws complete to wide-open wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher on the left sideline. It’s the fourth first down for the Buckeyes on this drive. 12:24 1st – Three incompletions cause the Gophers’ drive to stall at the Ohio State 33. Senior punter Blake Haudan kicks the ball to the 9-yard line, where the Buckeyes will start their second drive. 13:06 1st – On second-down play action, Gophers freshman quarterback MarQueis Gray rushes for 25 yards to the Ohio State 33-yard line. First down Minnesota. 13:47 1st – On third and 7 from the Buckeyes 25, quarterback Terrelle Pryor throws an incompletion on his first pass attempt, and Ohio State goes three and out. 14:53 1st – Ohio State returner Ray Small takes the ball to the Ohio State 22-yard line. The Gophers win the opening coin toss and elect to defer to the second half. Minnesota will kickoff to Ohio State to start the game.