Three students injured in attack; no arrests made

At least six University students attacked three other students with a knife outside of Middlebrook Hall on Sept. 29, University Police said.
The three victims, all between the ages of 18 and 19, attend the University, said University Police Detective Charles Miner. They sustained facial cuts, black eyes and back injuries during the assault.
No arrests have been made.
Hall director Lorien Mueller said the suspects damaged property at the residence hall, but she declined to specify the extent of the vandalism.
“Police are still doing a detailed investigation of the incident,” Mueller said.
Police said they have identified five of the six suspects. Criminal charges against at least two of the suspects are pending in Hennepin County District Court, Miner said.
The assaulted students and individuals who witnessed the assault could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

In other police news:
ù A suspect stole more than $4,500 worth of Newport cigarettes on Sept. 28 from an area business, according to Minneapolis police reports.
Murphy Warehouse, located on the 700 block of 24th Avenue Southeast, was burglarized for the fourth time in the last month, police reports state. The suspect made away with 180 cartons of cigarettes from the warehouse.
Witnesses told police they saw the suspect with the cases of cigarettes. When they asked what he was doing, the suspect said, “I work here. Mind your own business,” according to police reports.
The suspect drove away in a gray Oldsmobile sedan with the stash of cigarettes and was chased by the warehouse manager, Paul Welna, 50, of Brooklyn Center, and Bruce Barfknecht, 52, of Arden Hills, according to police reports.
The witnesses did not return phone calls.
Welna and Barfknecht lost the suspect but told authorities they could identify the man. They obtained the description of the car along with the license plate number.
Minneapolis police were not available for comment Tuesday.

ù A Ford Mustang parked at the intersection of Oak Street and Washington Avenue was stolen last week, according to police reports.
An unidentified suspect took the car sometime between late in the evening on Sept. 30 and early morning on Oct. 1.
A 25-year-old Minneapolis man reported the car stolen Oct. 1.
University Police investigators working on the case could not be reached Tuesday afternoon.
No arrests have been made.

Megan Boldt covers crime and welcomes comments at [email protected]. She can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3224.