Woman assaulted after passing out

Jim Martyka

University Police officers are investigating a sexual assault that occurred Friday morning in Territorial Hall.
Neither the victim nor the suspect, who are acquaintances, is a University student. Also, both have left the state to go back to their respective schools.
According to police reports, the victim, who was visiting a University student with the suspect, passed out after drinking heavily. When she woke up, she found the suspect having sexual intercourse with her.
However, the victim didn’t report the incident until almost two days after it occurred. Because it happened on campus, University Police took the case. Sgt. Joe May said the investigation might take longer than usual because the parties involved do not live near the University.
In other police news:
ù A University student reported that a man threatened to kill him near Williamson Hall on Saturday after he wouldn’t give the man money.
According to police reports, the man approached the student and begged him for money. The student refused and the man walked away yelling threats. After the student saw the man walk into the Dinkydome, he called police.
An officer found the man sitting in Espresso 22. A record check found the man had a warrant for a probation violation. He was arrested and booked at Hennepin County Jail.

ù A high-speed car chase through Dinkytown ended near the corner of 18th Avenue and University Avenue Southeast late Tuesday after an officer managed to stop the fleeing car.
The chase began when the officer tried to pull the suspect over for speeding. When the man noticed the officer, he sped off, ignoring a stop sign.
The man eventually stopped his car. The officer discovered the man had a suspended license and that he had been drinking.
He was arrested and booked at Hennepin County Jail.

ù A University officer also stopped a man for driving the wrong way down University Avenue on Sunday morning.
The man, who had been drinking, was given a citation and the car was impounded.

ù Resident assistants in Comstock Hall reported a bike hanging from a tree near the north side of the building Jan. 14.
The assistants recovered the dark blue mountain bike and held it in storage for a few days before turning it over to University Police.
Nobody has claimed the bike.