Won’t you be a good neighbor?

Among many problems, vandalism continues to be a major one in this area.

Vandalism expenses are an unnecessary burden to the University community and surrounding neighborhoods. Although vandalism is not a crime specific to students, it’s within our benefit to avoid engaging in destructive behavior and also to express solidarity with our neighbors when such incidents occur. Tree vandalism unfortunately is the most recent hack on surrounding neighborhood properties.

The campus and surrounding area is a place many call home for even longer than the four years students will spend here. It’s absurd to assume this is exclusively a student-congested area where all nonstudents should be forced to live with students’ unruly behavior.

It is important to note that the destruction might not be committed solely by students. The area receives a lot of traffic from events sponsored by the University and other activities. People who are neither students nor residents use the space and very well could be responsible for any damage that takes place. However, it is likely that drunken students are most at fault.

Livability issues should be a concern for the entire student population. It’s crucial for students to maintain their role as respectful residents, and also take part in community organizing.

This begins with recognizing this destruction is a result of irresponsible behavior. It is one thing to drink and have fun with friends, but it is another to act like a middle-school kid who broke into their parents’ liquor cabinet.

The prevalence of irresponsible student-drinkers only will lead to decreased housing availability for students and decreased quality in housing.

To avoid consequences such as these, students should adapt certain responsibilities. Keeping parties and ourselves under control is one way. Another is to stay aware of the issues that are going on in our neighborhoods. Also, communicating with our neighbors is the best way to keep – or replenish – a mutual respect.