College of Design sees many transfers

The greater fraction of transfer students in CDES may be due to a lack of publicity.

At the University of Minnesota, we are âÄúDriven to Discover.âÄù ItâÄôs everywhere âÄî on the sides of buses, in commercials, spread across banners on buildings in the mall and even randomly plastered on walkways around campus. With such a strong emphasis and history of research here at the University, itâÄôs no wonder that âÄúdiscoveringâÄù is something so strongly encouraged at this institution. But itâÄôs easy to forget that before we go off and invent new kinds of apples or research multicellularity in yeast cells, we have some discovering to do within ourselves first. And we need help.  

Ashley Johnson, a sophomore graphic design major, noted her struggle to convince her parents to let her study what she wanted. Originally pre-veterinarian, she realized that lectures in chemistry and physics were not what she was interested in; sheâÄôd rather be drawing. In fact, this is not an uncommon story in the College of Design. With the highest incoming transfer rate out of any intra-University college, it seems that design students are uncertain about how to translate their passion into career .

The Director of External Relations for CDES said in an e-mail that what makes the college unique is its professional programs âÄî programs that prepare students for specific careers in their majors. But are these programs catching the eye of freshmen early enough? Many of the majors  have a strict curriculum that is difficult to complete in less than four years, and job security is not a benefit of working in arts or design. The Huffington Post reported last year that the unemployment rate for architecture majors was 10.6 percent, and those who majored in âÄúmiscellaneous fine artsâÄù were staring down a cold and bitter 16.2 percent. The opportunities CDES has to offer should be lauded by the entire the University community, as the science and research of other colleges are. Students shouldnâÄôt have to choose between passion and convenience, because a career thatâÄôs not built from passion isnâÄôt a career; itâÄôs bondage.