Adamovich, Cerny focus on campus safety in MSA run

Juniors Brian Adamovich and Steve Cerny said their different political affiliations balance each other and will hopefully balance the University.

Adamovich and Cerny are vying for the Minnesota Student Association president and vice president positions, respectively. They said their strong leadership, academic experiences, dedication to results and understanding of how the University operates give them the tools to tackle the positions.

“Being two students that have always worked very hard to achieve their goals, I think we would be a good representation of what students at the University are like,” Adamovich said.

The two – who would not comment on their political affiliations – said their platform centers on safety, and they are dedicated to making the University the safest campus in the country.

“We want to create a student crime prevention committee, not only at the University, but on a national level, to look for ways to avoid and improve some of the situations that have recently occurred,” Cerny said, citing the Audrey Seiler case and the abduction and sexual assault of a University student last September.

They also said they plan to start a program for students to get home on weekends through a service called “Night Cab,” which would complement the late-night bus program MSA wants to implement.

The plan calls for student volunteers to pick up students in rental cars Thursday through Saturday nights.

Their platform also includes increasing outdoor campus security at night and adding additional lighting and code blue emergency phones on campus.

They would also like campus bus routes to include stops closer to Middlebrook Hall, Dinkytown, Huron Boulevard and other locations, as well as improving the Student Services Fees Committee recommendations to ensure they are fair, and getting a football stadium built on campus.

“As far as a stadium goes, we want to find a solution that benefits everyone,” Adamovich said. Cerny said they also plan to continue supporting many of MSA’s policies and projects, such as the late-night bus program.

Neither candidate has previous experience in MSA, but both are confident about their leadership abilities, they said.

“We really respect the people in MSA, but at the same time, it almost feels as if they have their own clique, and we want to show the student body it’s not such a narrow path,” Adamovich said.

Both said they have past management experience -Adamovich owned his own business and Cerny managed a restaurant. Adamovich has also served as president of two student groups.

First-year student Kate Davis worked with Adamovich in the Students for Charity student group and said he would do an amazing job as president.

“He takes motivation to a whole new level,” she said. “It’s insane.”

Cerny said he has been involved in the Pre-Law Society, is a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, is a community adviser at The Melrose and was editor in chief of the complex’s newsletter.

Cerny said the campaign will make him and Adamovich stronger people.

“Win or lose, we’ll still be involved,” he said.