Kitty Corner Café burglars only get away with change

President Eric Kaler sent an email to the University community outlining plans to improve campus security.

Kitty Corner Café owner Zuhal Sari arrived at her restaurant Sunday morning to find the cash register open and change on the floor, according to a Minneapolis police report.

Sari said two people broke into the Stadium Village restaurant through the back doors at about 5 a.m. Sunday and went directly to the cash register. But Sari takes the store’s iPad and cash home with her after closing, so the only loss was in coins.

Sari said despite the minimal loss, the burglary is concerning.

“It’s scary that there are people breaking in,” she said.

In light of the robbery and other recent crimes around the University of Minnesota’s campus, Sari said she would like to see more police presence.

“I think crime is getting higher and higher,” she said.

University President Eric Kaler sent an email to the University community Tuesday detailing the University’s new four-part approach to reducing crime.

University police added three officers last month, bringing their total ranks to 50 officers. Police are also working to improve the Security Monitor Program by adding student staff members and increasing their hourly pay rate, according to the email.

As of Tuesday, the Campus Connector runs between the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses until 2 a.m. daily and the Washington Avenue Bridge Circulator and East Bank Circulator run until 2 a.m. Monday through Thursday.

A new Weekend Circulator bus service will connect East Bank and West Bank starting Friday. It will run every half hour from 6:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Fridays and from 9:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

According to the email, the University is improving lighting on University Avenue and collaborating with the Minneapolis Police Department to increase the number of security cameras on and near campus.

Also, the University has started a program to limit access to some University buildings to people without proper identification, and a schedule will be released later this semester.

In the email, Kaler urged students to keep each other safe by staying vigilant, keeping valuables out of sight and reporting crime immediately.