Municipal election affects students

U students need to vote in some representation in the city council.

ThereâÄôs a stereotype that young people do not vote in elections. Politicians try not to count on the youth vote because, come crunch time, âÄòstudents wonâÄôt show on Election Day.’ University of Minnesota students have a chance to defy that perception in the upcoming November City Council election. Students make up roughly one-third of Ward 3 , so they have a uniquely powerful opportunity for political assertiveness. Make no mistake, the issues City Council dictates directly affect University students. When property taxes increase, rents do too. The Council will also be dealing with whether to ban 18+ shows in Minneapolis (making a venueâÄôs only show options âÄòall agesâÄô or âÄò21+âÄô). Eighteen- to 20-year-olds make up a significant portion of music fans. If venues are forced to turn away those between 18 and 21, far fewer students could attend concerts: a serious blow to both the local music scene and the local economy. Students need powerful representation on the City Council. Allen Kathir, a Ward 3 candidate, is a 24-year-old alumnus of the University of Minnesota and the candidate that will best represent student interest. The Daily will eventually cover candidates more deeply. For now, be prepared to speak up on Election Day. That is the only way to ensure your opinions are adequately represented. To allow disinterested parties to make political decisions on your behalf, only to complain about such decisions later, marks the practice of political morons. Students, concern yourselves with your own concerns, your own money, and your own rights. Be prepared to vote in this upcoming municipal election.