Cyclists go to Church

Students are taking campus mobility into their own hands.

Last Wednesday, there was something new for the denizens of Church Street to puzzle over. Three straight, thick lines were drawn in colored chalk down the length of the pedestrian blocks north of Washington Avenue. They were labeled âÄúbike lane,âÄù and cyclists were using them. If our readers have ever ridden a bicycle around campus, they know that pedestrians can be the most dangerous part of getting to class; pedestrians know the same thing about bicyclists. Last weekâÄôs homemade bike lane on Church Street, coupled with a few thoughtful letters to the editor we received last week here at The Minnesota Daily, show that students are engaging with the question of campus mobility. In fact, the University has a commendably progressive policy on movement and access on campus (belied, perhaps, by recent administrative conflicts over the Central Corridor Light Rail Transit project). In a draft report presented last year to the Board of Regents, a transportation task force articulated a vision that âÄúthe campus transportation system should serve as âĦ a âÄòlab-likeâÄô environment.âÄù While this is an excellent spirit with which to approach campus transportation, we havenâÄôt seen much in the way of innovation to date. Church Street is one of many places on campus where Parking and Transportation Services has a relatively easy and inexpensive opportunity to improve the experience of getting around campus for everyone. We should be experimenting with ways to direct and separate the flow of foot and bike traffic. Bikers and pedestrians, exist in an uneasy free-for-all; the University would be safer and more pleasant if it found more creative ways to get them from Amundson to Bell.