Student attacked outside Williamson Hall

A 25-year-old University student was attacked by an acquaintance Dec. 13 outside Williamson Hall, according to University Police reports.
The assault occurred in the early afternoon when the suspect grabbed the victim from behind, and pushed him up against the wall of the building and demanded money that the victim owed him, said Sgt. Jo Anne Benson.
The victim was treated at Boynton Health Services for bruises. He wished to press charges, Benson said, but there were no witnesses.
In other police news:
ù An Edina man was charged Dec. 10 for lurking outside a car belonging to University animal researcher Peter Santi, professor of otolaryngology, according to University Police reports.
A forum on animal research was being held that night in the Mayo Building by FACT, a group of students who use animals for research, Benson said. Santi was one of the speakers that night.
After the forum, University Police escorted Santi to his car in the Territorial Hall parking lot, where they were met by a protester lurking around Santi’s car. Santi said that he first noticed the man standing and was instructed by the police escort to get in his car and leave the scene. Santi said he did not speak to the protester.
Police then ticketed the Edina man after Santi had left.
ù The University of Minnesota Federal Credit Union, located in the Gateway Center, reported a forgery and theft of $8,000 Dec. 13.
A 45-year-old employee reported that someone had forged and cashed a check sometime between March 22 and March 30.
The late reporting will make it hard for police to be able to track down the suspect, Benson said.

— Tom Douty contributed to this report.
Megan Boldt covers police and welcomes comments at [email protected].