Students take notes, get paid

Knetwit.com gives out koin to students that post their class notes on their website.  This currency can be used towards receiving gifts and money from their online store.

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION
Image by Ashley Goetz
Knetwit.com gives out “koin” to students that post their class notes on their website. This currency can be used towards receiving gifts and money from their online store. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

Missing class can have its consequences, but a new website takes notes from students, posts them for others to view and offers cash and prizes as a reward. Knetwit.com , which officially launched in September, is a new site that posts notes from college students. It was started by Tyler Jenks and Benjamin Wald , who were attending Babson College in Massachusetts when they came up with the idea for the site. Anyone can view the siteâÄôs note content for free, and those who register with the site can begin earning âÄúkoin,âÄù the siteâÄôs internal currency that can be accumulated to exchange for cash and prizes. Jenks said the prizes, which can include TVs, iPods and video games, come from Amazon.com and are paid for by advertising revenue. Knetwit hopes to expand the prizes to all items sold on Amazon.com, Jenks said. Jenks said he was studying for a final exam while abroad in Italy, looking through 1,200 pages of text and 2,500 power point slides. Unable to communicate with friends or classmates because of geographical and language barriers, Jenks became frustrated and wanted a simpler way to get through the information. âÄúI realized that there needed to be a platform where everybody could sort of come together and post all of their information and their knowledge,âÄù Jenks said. Jenks said he wanted an easy resource for students who might have missed class, lost their notes or had difficulty studying to easily access the material. Nate Martinez , a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, said he thought it would was a great idea because thereâÄôs a fair amount of people who arenâÄôt great at taking notes. But there are some potential problems, such as attendance numbers and quality control. âÄúThe oversight is basically up to the users,âÄù Jenks said. âÄúWe scan the notes to make sure that nobodyâÄôs just posting copies of the same note or just writing down one line or taking something that has nothing to do with the class,âÄù he said. Studio art senior Bryce Davidson said he would post notes for the money, but said there could be problems if itâÄôs not regulated properly. âÄúThereâÄôs always going to be people that go for the benefit and cut the corner for doing a good job on their notes,âÄù Davidson said. University classics professor Nita Krevans , who had a student register to upload her class notes, said students would miss the visual aspects of her class, including slides, video and audio clips, and the experience of being in the room hearing students ask questions. But the accuracy of the notes could still be poor. Economics professor Aldo Rustichini said he thought this could be a problem along with low attendance. âÄúMy main concern is âĦ not only they donâÄôt come to class, but they learn something completely wrong,âÄù he said. Krevans said she is concerned about misinformation as well. âÄúHow much can you trust a set of notes thatâÄôs put up there because somebody wanted a free pizza?âÄù she said.