Task force members look for input on possible fee rebate

A forum centered around a possible student services fee rebate for Boynton Health Service drew little response from students Monday.
No students attended the first of two forums held to discuss the impact of a $20 to $40 health service fee refund. Today’s forum will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Northstar Ballroom Lounge in the St. Paul Student Center.
Boynton staff and members of the Student Services Fee Rebate Task Force emphasized the importance of outside input because a rebate could be far-reaching. Actual rebate amounts, if approved, would vary between graduate and undergraduate students.
“A lot of students don’t pay attention to the facts about the rebate,” said Amy Nygaard, a junior in the College of Liberal Arts and task force member. “There are a lot of down sides to the rebate, too.”
The panel discussion and feedback session today will focus on several issues, including:
ù students’ access to health care;
ù health care options available to students;
ù the impact the rebate will have on different student groups;
ù long-range costs of health insurance plans;
ù overall costs for health care for University students.
After gauging student reaction, the Student Services Fee Rebate Task Force will report to the director of Boynton Health Service by Jan. 23.
Edward Ehlinger, director of Boynton Health Service, said he will not take a stance on the rebate issue until the committee directly reports its findings to him.
“I’ve been staying out of the process,” Ehlinger said.
Currently, only graduate students who serve as teaching assistants are eligible for a $21 student services fee refund.
Even such a small amount can have a huge impact if enacted for all students, Nygaard said.
Judy Meath, a community program specialist for Boynton Health Service, said a rebate in this case could impact every University fee-receiving unit. If the rebate goes through, she said, students could try to get similar refunds from the University Recreation Center, for example.
“It’s important not only for the short term, but may also have long-term consequences for campus life,” Meath said.