Three sports sign top classes to letters of intent Wednesday

Minnesota’s men’s hockey team announced the signing of four student-athletes to national letters of intent on Wednesday: Gino Guyer, Chris Harrington, Andy Sertich and Thomas Vanek.

Guyer, a 5-foot-11, 190-pound forward from Greenway High School in Coleraine, Minn., was the Associated Press Minnesota Player of the Year after leading the state in scoring as a junior last season.

In 27 games, Guyer collected 38 goals and 49 assists, pacing Greenway’s third-place finish at the state tournament.

Harrington, a 6-foot, 180-pound defenseman from St. Cloud, Minn., is the team captain for the Omaha Lancers. He has three goals and four assists in 14 games this season.

Sertich is Guyer’s teammate at Greenway. The 5-foot-11, 164-pound forward had 80 points in 28 games last season.

Vanek, one of the most sought-after recruits in the nation will join Minnesota after three seasons with Sioux Falls of the United States Hockey League.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound forward is the USHL’s leading scorer this season with 34 points in 15 games. Vanek hails from Graz, Austria.

Oldfield signs three

Minnesota women’s basketball coach Brenda Oldfield announced the signing of three Minnesotans – Winnebago’s Shannon Schonrock, Marshall’s Shannon Bolden and Eden Prairie’s Christina Collison – to national letters of intent on Wednesday.

Schonrock, a 5-foot-6 point guard, is a senior at Blue Earth Area High School ranked No. 37 among the top 100 seniors by the Women’s Basketball Journal publication.

Schonrock led the state of Minnesota in scoring as a junior, averaging 27.2 points per game. She earned first-team Associated Press All-State honors in 2000-01, after capturing second-team all-state accord as a sophomore.

Bolden, from Marshall High School, is a versatile 5-foot-11 player who can play either on the perimeter or at the post. Bolden was named the AP Co-Player of the Year for Minnesota Class AA after leading her Tiger squad to the state title. The first-team all-state pick
averaged 21 points and eight rebounds per game as a junior.

Collison, a 6-foot-2 post player from Eden Prairie High School is a two-time All-Lake Conference first-team selection, Collison averaged 14.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game as a junior.

Volleyball adds one

Athena Mallakis will come to Minnesota from Simi Valley High School in California next fall after signing a national letter of intent on Wednesday. The 6-foot-1 middle hitter did not play this fall due to an ACL tear. Yet the coaching staff is not concerned the injury will affect her.

“It was a fluke,” coach Mike Hebert said. “She is a strong athlete. She is very quick with a fast arm and she will add to an already quick team.”