Minnesota Daily announces new OP staff

Bailey Alto, Morgan Goronkin and Tony Wagner will head the Daily’s three departments.
Tony Wagner, Bailey Alto, and Morgan Goronkin were selected as the new editor in chief, business operations officer, and president.

The Minnesota Daily’s Board of Directors recently selected the new Office of the Publisher  staff to lead the Daily in the next academic year.

Bailey Alto, Morgan Goronkin  and Tony Wagner  will each head one of the Daily’s three divisions, effective later this month.

President

Goronkin, who started working at the Daily last May, will take over as president.

The business and marketing education senior started out as a human resources representative and was quickly promoted to assistant manager and then manager in the human resources department.

Goronkin said she was drawn to working at the Daily after one of her professors suggested she apply.

When she started working, the relative newcomer didn’t think she had enough experience at the Daily to head it.

The Daily’s current president then approached Goronkin about filling her shoes.

“I always thought that I wanted to do it, but [that was] the first time that I thought I actually could,” she said.

Goronkin said she put her “whole heart” into the application process.

Moving forward, Goronkin hopes to restructure the marketing department and increase brand awareness on campus.

She also wants to look into offering credit hours for human resources and editorial internships.

“I love this organization,” she said, “and I think we do amazing things here.”

Editor-in-chief

Wagner will oversee the Daily’s newsroom, sports, arts and entertainment, editorials and opinions and paper production as editor-in-chief.

The journalism junior began working at the Daily last spring as a staff reporter for the arts and entertainment division.

After working in A&E for the spring and summer, Wagner decided to try his hand at news writing and became a staff reporter, then senior staff reporter for the Daily’s city desk in the fall.

Wagner said he found his “niche” covering the housing and business development around campus.

“It ended up being a really good fit,” he said.

This spring, Wagner became the associate editor for the city desk after only a semester in the newsroom. As an editor, he realized he was interested in heading the editorial department.

“I found myself having more ideas, and I thought I could do a lot,” he said.

As editor-in-chief, Wagner hopes to expand the Daily’s web presence with increased video content and interactive graphics.

He also hopes to increase editorial projects and expand the Daily’s outreach activities on campus.

Business operations officer

As business operations officer, Alto will head the Daily’s advertising department.

The advertising junior started at the Daily in May 2011 as an account executive and became retail sales manager a year later.

Alto said she was originally interested in an editorial position, but after switching her major, she decided advertising suited her interests.

A few months after starting at the Daily, Alto said she was approached about becoming business operations manager but said the idea sounded “terrifying.”

But the idea stuck with her, and she decided to apply for the leadership position.

“I realized I liked leading a team, and I liked making decisions,” she said.

Alto found out she got the job while studying abroad in Australia. She said she was “overjoyed and relieved” to hear the news.

As business operations officer, Alto hopes to improve the website, further develop the Daily’s brand and increase marketing activity, which she said she believes will boost readership.