Students face extreme poverty to highlight microfinance

A screening of their film, “Living on One Dollar,” will be held at the Bell Museum on Sunday as part of a national tour.

Marion Renault

The University of Minnesota will host a screening of a documentary by college students who spent two months living on a dollar a day to experience extreme poverty firsthand.   

“Living on One Dollar” will make its campus debut Sunday at 6:30 p.m. at the Bell Museum.

The film follows four college students — including one Minneapolis native — who decided to spend the summer of 2010 living in poverty in a rural Guatemalan village.

Through their non-profit, Living on One, the students are touring campuses around the country in a school bus to highlight the impact of microfinance, or small loans for low-income entrepreneurs, in areas affected by extreme poverty.

“They want to inspire college students to make a change or do something in the world,” said Betsy Sandberg, a Living on One spokesperson. “Whatever you can do, even if it’s really small, can help people in a big way.”

The screening will be held in partnership with the University’s L.I.F.E. (Lending, Investing, Financing and Empowering) student group and will be followed by a short question and answer session with film-makers.

The Living on One Tour will end in Guatemala this December.

For more on their cause, pick up Monday’s issue of the Minnesota Daily or check back at mndaily.com.