Women now in second place heading into final day

The No. 10 Minnesota women’s swimming and diving team is now in second place with 418.5 points in West Lafayette, Ind. after the third day of the Big Ten Championship. Indiana is now in the lead again with 451 points.

Minnesota started Friday night with its third event win of the championship, gaining 40 points in the 400 medley relay. Sophomore Hannah Whitehead, juniors Jillian Tyler, Kaylee Jamison and Alison Eggers combined for a provisional qualifying time and a season-best time of 3:35.12.

Tyler had her third-straight 100 breaststroke win when she won the event in an automatic qualifying time of 59.35, setting a new facility record previously held by Caroline Bruce in 2005. Freshman Haley Spencer finished third in the event when she earned a career-best time of 1:00.75. Junior Molly Belk was fifth finishing with a time of 1:00.96, and freshman Paige Bradley was seventh with a time of 1:01.68.

Sophomore Kelci Bryant won the 3-meter, which was her second event win of the championship, posting a score of 386.60. 

Jamison led the Gopher contingent in the 100 fly when she finished third overall holding a provisional qualifying time of 53.53.

Minnesota had three in the consolation finals, sophomores Ashley Steenvoorden, Marissa Davies and freshman Lauren Weis, earning times of 1:47.88, 1:47.98 and 1:47.99, respectively.

Whitehead led the Gophers in the 100 back when she finished fifth with a time of 53.69.