Winter quarter productive for MSA, say members

In a quarter filled with debate in regard to the Minnesota Student Association’s student services fees request, many MSA members still feel that winter quarter was a productive one for the association.
The quarter began like any other for MSA, with dissent within the organization beginning when the student services fees request was presented to the fees committee at the beginning of January.
MSA President Nikki Kubista and Vice President Erin Ferguson went against MSA tradition when they wrote up and presented the request directly to the fees committee, bypassing presentation to MSA Forum.
While most MSA members had no qualms with Kubista and Ferguson’s actions, some members called the presentation unconstitutional and asked for the request to be recalled from the fees committee.
Through a special forum called specifically to continue debate on the fees request, MSA members voted on a resolution that would allow the current fees request to stay, but would clearly outline the fees request presentation in the future.
“We learned a lot about what needs to be clear for the next MSA president,” Kubista said. “It’s all laid out so people know what they have to do.”
Throughout the turmoil concerning the fees request, MSA Forum also passed more than 10 resolutions this quarter.
Although members have different opinions on which resolutions they feel were most important to the University, many agree that presenting a united front by approving the Coffman Union renovation was an important step for the student organization.
Other MSA programs and meetings that stood out among members were the “MSA Networking Event,” “Pack Mariucci” and a meeting between Gov. Jesse Ventura and two of the association’s members.
Sam Tuttle, co-chairwoman of the MSA legislative committee, noted that winter quarter is usually a slow time for resolutions, but an important time for MSA’s programming.
“The programming by MSA, in general, highlights the University resources for students,” Tuttle said. “To that extent, it allows students to discover what’s out there.”
As winter quarter winds down, MSA members look to the upcoming spring elections, in what they describe as a way to continue their advocacy for students.
Ben Bowman, speaker for MSA Forum, hoped for continued MSA member involvement in programs and committees.
“We hope for continued dialogue between members, and that they all stay active,” Bowman said. “We want to end the year on a good note.”