Man killed near University Village

A Minneapolis man was shot and later died from multiple gun shot wounds Saturday night on University Avenue Southeast near Leaning Tower of Pizza restaurant and a University apartment complex.

Edward Rajual Howard Reynolds, 25, of Minneapolis died at approximately 3 a.m. Sunday. He was not a University student.

According to Minneapolis police, Reynolds got into an argument with several unidentified suspects outside the pizza restaurant. The suspects engaged in gunfire, which hit Reynolds, before fleeing the scene, police said.

Investigators closed a one-block stretch of University Avenue Southeast for several hours to secure the scene, speak with witnesses and search for evidence.

Several witnesses said they saw the crime, and said Reynolds and the suspects both had weapons and fired several rounds at each other. The fleeing participants left the scene in a red sports car, they said.

Paramedics were at the scene within minutes to tend to the victim who was bleeding and lying in University Avenue Southeast.

Several dozen bar-goers, residents and visitors were within feet of the possible shootout Saturday night.

At the time of the shooting, Diane Schoenborn was working at the front desk of Econo Lodge, which is located directly across the street from the crime scene.

Schoenborn said she was on the telephone and eating dinner when she heard gunshots, and ducked under her desk.

“I just heard ‘pop, pop, pop,’ ” she said. “It sounded like firecrackers.”

One bullet hit the hotel window and passed by her desk, she said.

Peeking over her desk, Schoenborn said, she saw a man lying on the pavement with people rushing to help him.

“I started bawling,” Schoeborn said. “I’m shaky.”

It appeared that the man was alive and breathing when taken by emergency personnel, she said.

Minneapolis resident Kari Kurtz and a friend were trying to enter the Leaning Tower of Pizza but could not join their friends because police had taped off the restaurant’s front door.

The scene was rare for areas near campus. Several gun shots pierced windows and buildings, police rolled yellow tape to guard the crime scene and investigators scoured for evidence with flashlights.

Despite the conditions, Kurtz said she still felt safe.

“There are too many cops to be scared now,” Kurtz said.

On campus to watch the Gophers volleyball game, high school students Mallory Richards and Jolene Slagter were walking to the pizza restaurant at the time of the incident.

The two did not hear or see the shots, Richards said, but police officers quickly ushered them into the restaurant.

“I thought the shooter was still around,” Richards said.

Campus Food cashier Kel Gaorag worked alone Saturday night when he heard the shots come from just outside the building. Hearing the sound made him duck for cover and run to the back of the shop, he said.

“This is the first time I’ve heard something crazy like this,” he said. “It’s really crazy.”

University Village resident and environmental sciences senior Andrew Weithe said he tried to call 911 about the incident but couldn’t get through.

“We weren’t sure if it was firecrackers or what,” Weithe said. “It didn’t seem real. I’ve struggled with it all day.”

– Branden Peterson, Than Tibbets, Matthew Gruchow, Tom Whisenand and Jarret Raffety contributed to this report.