Hovde letter misinformed

This letter is in response to Nathaniel J. HoffmannâÄôs letter to the editor, entitled âÄúHovde a Bush conservative.âÄù I must make the correction to his quote, âÄúThe University community must remember that Hovde is a self-proclaimed âÄòBush conservativeâÄô (see the Feb. 5 edition of The Minnesota Daily).âÄù If one truly read this article, entitled âÄúU student runs for state Legislature,âÄù one will realize that Hovde did not declare himself a âÄúBush Conservative.âÄù Rather, Rep. Phyllis Khan stated that, simply because of the âÄúRâÄù next to his name on the ballot, âÄúvoters may compare him to other politicians with conservative stances, such as U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman and President George W. Bush, regardless of his beliefs.âÄù This is an obvious attempt by Hoffmann to link Hovde to an unpopular President Bush. Not only is this an insult to HovdeâÄôs own personal views, it is an insult to the intelligence of the readers of our beloved Minnesota Daily. This serves as a lesson that we must always do our own fact-checking, because we canâÄôt trust others to report us the whole truth. Drew Post University Student When reading about the proposed Bell Museum in St. Paul in the Oct. 29 issue, I could not help but think the state could put the money to a better use. I transferred here from Anoka-Ramsey Community College. ARCC received a building addition, which replaced what was dubbed the âÄúPoleBarn U.âÄù I have to say that ARCC and the community appreciated that addition in an area with few higher education opportunities. The parking lot and building are now full, and funding for the next expansion is years away. My former high school in St. Francis is trying to renew a levy, and is in risk of losing $1.5 million dollars and most of their elective programs. These two schools are the reason for my success, and both have sent many students to the University of Minnesota over the years. Their success in preparing students leads to the UniversityâÄôs success when they arrive here. Thus, the University has a stake in their capabilities. ItâÄôll be better for the University and for the state for the $24 million to not be used where there is already millions of dollars in construction taking place. Instead it should be spent in one of the numerous schools which feed the University its students and help create its reputation and success. Thus, more students will be able to reach their educational dreams, as I have. What more is there to ask for? Ben Braaten University student