Two University football coaches report harassing phone calls

Police Report

Two University football coaches reported getting harassing phone calls Thursday.

There have been 10 to 12 harassing calls since April, according to a police report.

University Deputy Police Chief Steve Johnson said the phone calls are directed at the football program, not specifically at the coaches.

Financial aid fraud

An individual posing as a Department of Education representative is attempting to scam University students.

The person calls students and tells them he can replace student loans with an $8,000 grant for a processing fee, according to an alert on the Department of Education Web site as well as the University’s Onestop Web site.

The person also tries to obtain bank account information from students.

Jane Glickman, a spokeswoman at the Department of Education said there is no program to replace student loans with a grant.

The Department of Education has received around 25 complaints about the scam.

University Deputy Police Chief Steve Johnson and Office of Student Finance faculty said they have not heard of any University of Minnesota students being scammed.

The alert encourages all scam victims to report the fraud to the Department of Education and the Federal Trade Commission.

Johnson said he agreed with the advice in the alert.

“If they think a scam’s afoot they should call the police,” he said.

Trespassing at Anderson

Police issued trespass warnings to a University faculty member and a student for “suspicious behavior” in an Anderson Hall men’s restroom on Friday, according to a police report.

Police also issued a trespass warning to a Minneapolis resident for “disruptive behavior” in an Anderson Hall men’s restroom on Friday, according to another report.