Editorial: Remembering the importance of self-care, even as a student

With finals up ahead, remember to put yourself — your mental health and well being — first.

Self-care and student life are at direct odds. While we run from class to work to social events, our bodies and mental health take a toll. The next two weeks are bound to be the busiest for students, faculty and staff. Everyone needs self-care reminders, so here’s your reminder and tips from the Minnesota Daily’s Editorial Board.

Do the little things

With the busiest days of the semester upon us, there’s likely only time to do the little things for yourself. Little self-care things like taking short naps, eating full meals, staying hydrated and doing face masks can improve your mood. 

Try doing one small thing for yourself per day, even if it’s a small one. It may re-energize you when things get hard, which will be common in the coming days. Try to avoid too much greasy foods, all-nighters and too much caffeine. 

Lean on your friends

College can take a toll on you mentally and chances are your friends are dealing with similar experiences. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them. Dealing with your mental health alone can be scary and calling on a friend can be comforting. 

We recommend checking in on your friends and making sure you reach out when you need help. Take some time to let your friends know you’re there for them, but also to let them know what you need, too. Friendships play a key role in dealing with mental health, so despite the busy schedules and constant studying — make sure you plan a few hours to see your friends. 

Ask for help

Don’t be afraid to reach out for help if you need it. If you’re struggling with your mental health, your classes and homework can be affected. It’s important to reach out to your professors and let them know you’re struggling. They can point you in the right direction to find resources that may help and can help with creating a plan to finish off the semester strong. 

Use University resources

Resources on campus can also help you through the next few weeks. Make an appointment at Boynton Health or take a look at some of its other resources, including group therapy, urgent/crisis consultation and ADD/ADHD treatment. 

Student Counseling Services is available to discuss mental health issues and academic stress. You can make an appointment or walk in.

If it’s after hours, or in case of an emergency call (612) 301-4673 or text “UMN” to 61222.