For one Iraqi journalist, telling whole story isn’t possible

ThereâÄôs been a flurry of discussion on campus surrounding last weekâÄôs âÄúTalk to an IraqiâÄù presentation with Iraqi journalist Haider Hamza . While the vast majority of the feedback we have received has been positive âÄî and Hamza received more than three dozen e-mails after the event âÄî some are concerned that HamzaâÄôs picture of Iraq does not tell the whole story. It doesnâÄôt, and Hamza will be the first one to admit it. He is just one man among a vast, diverse population in an arduous, complicated conflict. But the presentation was never designed to tell the whole story. Our goal was to start a discussion, to move forward a dialogue that hasnâÄôt existed. On point, we were especially excited when the Army ROTC agreed to co-sponsor the event because many cadets and war veterans view the conflict through a very different lens than civilians, especially journalists. Rarely do we hear stories of war from the perspective of the soldiers involved. As an embedded journalist, Hamza saw first-hand how war can affect soldiers, both for the better and the worse. âÄúTalk to an IraqiâÄù had more than a dozen co-sponsors, ranging from campus departments to religious organizations. Let us use this opportunity to create a real dialogue on this defining issue of our generation. Through dialogue we can learn from each other and ultimately build a stronger campus community. Dan Garon University student âÄúTalk to an IraqiâÄù organizer