Hot time, jobless in the Cities

The University offers many great resources to help students find worthwhile jobs.

The time has come for many University students to look for summer jobs in the Twin Cities community. The search can be tedious, and it is hard to get excited about just another low-paying summer job when people think they should be starting jobs that have to do with what they actually want to do after graduation. University Career Services offers many great resources to students who are hoping to take some small steps in the right direction.

First, the new GoldPASS program is uniting degree-seeking students from all colleges in the hunt for jobs. GoldPASS works with area employers who are looking specifically for college students. The listing service features all kinds of opportunities for students. One can find full-time work as well as temporary. Also, it is a great source for finding paid and unpaid internships. Students have their own accounts where they can keep track of their past job searches and applications. Students can upload their résumés so employers easily can reach out to interested applicants. One of the best features is that the job-seeker can search for jobs by keyword. This allows students to reach outside their own academic box into jobs and internships that will complement their education.

The Career Services office has a great Web site where students can easily find links to their college’s career centers. At these centers a student can explore different careers and learn about the roads that need to be taken to be successful in those careers. Students are aided in developing a promising résumé, as well as given tips about how to succeed in an interview.

For this summer, why not check out some of the great resources the University has to offer. You might find just the opportunity you need to add some real-life experience to your education. You are going to school to be successful at what you want to do for the rest of your life, but there aren’t many great positions available to applicants without any practical field experience. Besides, you said you never would work retail again.