Professor receives award for authoring activism book

Kathryn Sikkink, an 11-year University political science professor, will be honored today with the Grawemeyer Award for Ideas Improving World Order.
Past recipients of the $200,000 distinction include Mikhail Gorbachev in 1994, and Max Singer and Aaron Wildavsky, authors of “The Real World Order,” in 1996.
“I feel very honored,” Sikkink said of the accolade, which she considered one of only a handful of awards aimed at international or political science work.
The foundation chose Sikkink, 44, because of a book she wrote last year, “Activists Beyond Borders.” She will share the honor with co-author Margaret Keck, a political science professor at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md.
The book discusses the power of nongovernmental organizations — such as human and women’s rights groups — to bring about social change.
Rodger Payne, an associate professor of political science at the University of Louisville and selection committee chairman, said he was impressed with the book.
Members of the selection committee chose Sikkink and Keck’s work from 45 total entries. Submissions were judged on the originality, feasibility and potential impact of their work on international affairs.
The scholars will receive the award, cash gift and medal at a ceremony at the University of Louisville on April 3.

Bryan Keogh welcomes comments at [email protected].