Twins spoil final home

DETROIT (AP) — Todd Walker spoiled the final home opener at Tiger Stadium with a home run in the 12th inning Monday, giving the Minnesota Twins a 1-0 victory over Detroit.
Tiger Stadium opened in 1912, and never before had a home opener at the ballpark been scoreless going into extra innings.
The crowd of 47,449 was the biggest on opening day since 50,314 watched in 1994, before the seating capacity was changed.
Walker, who also doubled twice, led off the 12th against Sean Runyan (0-1) with a high fly ball into the second deck in right field. Rick Aguilera (1-0) pitched the final 1 2-3 innings to send the Tigers to their sixth straight loss.
Detroit finished 49-39 in home openers at Tiger Stadium. Next year, the Tigers move to Comerica Park at the corner of Witherell and Montcalm, about a mile away.
Overall, this was the start of the 104th and final season at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. Baseball has been played there since 1896 when they tore down an old hay market to build Bennett Park for a Detroit team that played in the Western League. The American League began in 1901.
The Tigers had their best chance to score in the ninth.
Juan Encarnacion lined a one-out double off Mike Trombley and moved up on a grounder by Gregg Jefferies. But Trombley struck out Damion Easley to end the threat.
Twins starter Eric Milton gave up just one hit over 7 1-3 innings during his second start. He struck out seven and walked one, and retired 18 straight batters during one stretch.
Trombley relieved Milton and worked three innings to set up Aguilera.
Tigers starter Willie Blair gave up three hits in eight innings. He walked none and struck out four.
Doug Brocail started the ninth for Detroit and retired all four batters he faced, striking out three. He was relieved by C.J. Nitkowski, who struck out the only batter he faced before giving way to Todd Jones.
Tiger Stadium officially opened on April 20, 1912 — the same day Fenway Park opened.
A year earlier, team owner Frank Navin razed the old stands at Bennett Park and built a new ballpark, moving home plate from what is now right field to its present location.
In 1923, the original stands were double-decked. Walter O. Briggs took over the club after Navin died, and added a second level to the bleachers and the right-field pavilion in 1936.
In 1938, Cherry Street, the northern boundary, was closed, enabling another expansion that essentially enclosed the park. It was renamed Briggs Stadium, held 53,000 and looked pretty much as it does today.
It was renamed Tiger Stadium in 1961.