Fast start, late celebration highlight easy win

The Gophers beat Bemidji State 8-0, and Katie Frischmann scored her first goal since her freshman year.

It took the Gophers women’s hockey team only eight seconds to score a goal against Bemidji State on Friday at Ridder Arena.

It took senior forward/defender Katie Frischmann nearly three years to score her first goal since her freshman year.

Frischmann netted the final goal in the Gophers’ 8-0 drubbing of Bemidji State. Minnesota (31-0-0) extended its winning streak to 39 games.

“I was excited to finally get a goal,” Frischmann said.  “I didn’t really want to go my whole senior year without getting a goal.”

At 7:46 in the third period, sophomore forward Rachael Bona and sophomore forward/defender Jordyn Burns fed Frischmann the puck, which she shot past the Beavers’ goaltender.

While the goal itself was a beauty, the post-goal celebration took the excitement to a whole new level.

“That’s what our team is about, just being grateful and devoted to one another,” head coach Brad Frost said. “I don’t think they’ve been that happy when a goal is scored all year. So that was pretty fun.”

And the Gophers had many opportunities to celebrate. Junior forward Amanda Kessel kicked off the scoring spree after eight seconds in the first period. About a minute later, Bona put the Gophers up 2-0.

Sophomore defender Rachel Ramsey and freshman forward Hannah Brandt also scored before the first period’s end.

In the second period, the Gophers slowed down slightly. Kessel scored the first goal after 31 seconds. Senior forward Becky Kortum and freshman defender Milica McMillen also scored.

Even senior goaltender Noora Räty earned a point by assisting McMillen’s goal.

“It was nice to get Noora an assist too,” McMillen said. “I was trying to make sure not many people touched it.”

Frischmann’s lone goal in the third period sealed the win for the Gophers.

Minnesota will face Bemidji State again Saturday at Ridder Arena.