One Stop Web site: an online resource for U students

Whether seeking the answer to a particular question about the University or just looking at what services are available, the One Stop Web site is a useful tool for students.

The University created One Stop in 1999 to make most services on campus available online to students.

“Students want to be able to transact with the University without knowing how to contact every University organization,” Kari Branjord, University director of Web development, said.

During peak periods, One Stop receives 3 million to 4 million visits per month, Branjord said.

Much of the information on One Stop revolves around course and registration information. Students can register through the Web site or look up information about specific classes being held during that term.

Students can access transcripts, print free unofficial copies or purchase official copies for $5.

One Stop can also answer concerns about billing, tuition and financial aid. The site offers students the ability to pay tuition bills online and verify financial aid status.

Campus maps are accessed regularly during orientation week and the first few weeks of school, Branjord said.

“You are able to look up a particular building, see a picture, find where it is and find where to park,” Branjord said.

If students come across larger concerns that cannot be answered online, there are three One Stop centers open to take questions. Students can talk to someone personally to deal with their concerns.

“The centers get more complicated problems and have more time to deal with them,” Branjord said. “Students come in when they don’t understand how money is being applied to their account, or have bigger questions about holds.”

One Stop centers are located in Fraser Hall, Coffey Hall and the West Bank Skyway.

If students need assistance when setting up their computers and Internet on campus, there are many hotlines and help centers to assist with problems that might arise. There are also daily laptop computer rentals available.

The One Stop Web site is always updated, and important information is added often.

“We just improved registration capabilities, and in 12-18 months we hope to have a four-year planner so students can see how to graduate in four years,” Branjord said.

Through the MNCAT Web site, which can be found on One Stop, students are given free access to databases of articles. Some of the databases require students to sign into their University accounts, but provide search engines for research-type references.

For incoming students, as well as University veterans, One Stop could prove to be a frequently visited site during the academic year.

“It’s a great place to set as your default site on your browser,” Branjord said.

Students can log on to One Stop at www.onestop.umn.edu.