Police respond to calls from dorms during Welcome Week

Officers responded to a call Saturday from a security guard in Territorial Hall regarding a resident who was running around the building intoxicated. Police chased Jeremy Owens, 18, down a third floor corridor and brought him to their squad car where police confiscated his marijuana pipe, according to the police report. According to the report, Owens drank âÄúa lotâÄù of alcohol, did a line of cocaine and smoked some marijuana. He had a blood-alcohol level of .297 and police charged him for underage consumption, paraphernalia possession and for running from an officer. While this was happening, Cody Christopherson, 18, came to OwensâÄô defense. But Christopherson had also been drinking, so the police charged him with underage consumption, according to the report. Owens was taken to the Hennepin County Medical CenterâÄôs special care wing and Christopherson was released. Owens and Christopherson are not registered as University students, according to Onestop Student Services. A day earlier, police responded to a call when Centennial Hall staff saw students carry an intoxicated first-year student into the building, down a hallway and into her room, according to the police report. Staff opened 18-year-old Jordan HoofâÄôs door and police found her on her bed fully clothed with bloodshot eyes and slurring her speech. They charged her with underage consumption and took her to the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview. Police confiscate slingshot, leave rat Police caught a group of people in town for the Republican National Convention smoking marijuana at 1821 Riverside Ave. on Saturday, according to a police report. Along with their drugs and pipe, the officer confiscated a slingshot. University police Lt. Chuck Miner said the officers involved believed the slingshot could have been used for violent protesting at the convention. Knives, brass knuckles, large sticks, caltrops and buckets of urine and feces have been taken by police under similar suspicions of malicious use. According to the report, 18-year-old Duncan Montgomery, one of the smokers, had a Pine County warrant out for his arrest, so when the police took him in he was forced to leave his pet rat with one of the other parties.