University juggling club’s locker, equipment stolen

Also, one U student was the target of a dorm magazine scam last week.

âÄúMortificationâÄù was the word University of Minnesota Juggling Club President Sean Radcliffe used to describe the realization that the lockers housing the clubâÄôs equipment, accumulated over more than two decades, were gone.
The disappearance crippled the club, which regularly meets several times each week. ItâÄôs already canceled three meetings.
âÄúNo one would want this stuff because itâÄôs really old and kind of crappy,âÄù Radcliffe said, âÄúbut it served its purpose really well.âÄù
The equipment was worth about $700 and has been collected throughout the groupâÄôs existence on campus. Replacing it would cost about $1,000.
The gear, which included 17 juggling clubs, more than two dozen balls and some specialty items, like Chinese yo-yos, is usually stored in a locker at Northrop Auditorium. But when Radcliffe went to grab the gear last week, she found the block of four lockers, one of which held their equipment, had
disappeared.
She assumes someone saw that theirs was the only locker in the hallway with a lock and figured there might be something valuable inside.
Members of construction crews working on the auditorium have assured both the club and the University police that the lockers were not accidently moved. Radcliffe even scoured the building with the project manager looking for the locker âÄî to no avail.
Group members are now looking into whether the University could help pay for new equipment but arenâÄôt optimistic. They are preparing to do some fundraising around Minneapolis, including asking local jugglers for donations.
Several members of the group do have their own equipment but not enough for all of the members and the passing students they teach. The club hopes to be back on Northrop Mall when the snow clears.
Dorm-to-dorm salesman targets students
When University first-year Nora Janosek handed over $50 to a mysterious magazine salesman who showed up at her Frontier Hall dorm room, she wasnâÄôt planning on getting her Cosmopolitan anytime soon.
She also wasnâÄôt surprised to find out that both the phone numbers he left behind were disconnected.
âÄúI could care less about what magazines,âÄù Janosek said. âÄúI just wanted him to leave.âÄù
The salesman, who went by the name Jarrod, said he was from the University of Louisville and was staying at the Radisson University Hotel. He said the magazines were part of a communications contest at his school, she said.
During his adamant pitch to Janosek, the man said he had been around a couple of the dorms and told her not to tell the front desk because they didnâÄôt want him in the building.
And after she paid for two subscriptions and ushered the man out, she went straight to the front desk staff, who contacted University police.
âÄúItâÄôs not just a University problem,âÄù University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said. âÄúThere are people that run and do this in different communities âĦ you should always be wary of what you purchase from a door-to-door salesman.âÄù
Police currently donâÄôt have any suspects and havenâÄôt received other complaints from students.
âÄúMy gut is telling me it was a scam just by how sketchy he was acting,âÄù Janosek said. âÄúI could be wrong and I could end up getting magazines, but I just donâÄôt think thatâÄôs going to happen.âÄù