Transfer Both Gach gains immediate eligibility

The Gophers’ final piece of their roster is set to make immediate impact after waiver.

Parker Johnson

Gophers Head Coach Richard Pitino looks on from the sidelines during a free throw attempt at Williams Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 26. The Gophers entered the second half with a 47-31 lead over the Maryland Terrapins.

AJ Condon, Sports Reporter

Junior guard Both Gach got his transfer waiver granted and will be able to play for the Gophers’ men’s basketball team this season. The 6-foot-6 guard transferred following his sophomore season at Utah and was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA Monday.

Unlike the two other transfers junior Liam Robbins and grad transfer Brandon Johnson, Gach comes from a Power 5 conference. Though the Big Ten is still a different conference than the Pac-12, Gach will most likely have an easier transition period.

With two years left of eligibility, the Minnesota native will be able to make an immediate impact with the team. After seeing a 10 minute increase in minutes, Gach increased his points, rebounds and assists per game last season.

He averaged 10.7 points per game last season which ranked second on his team. He isn’t a three-point threat, shooting just 25% from deep last season, but he adds another offensive weapon to head coach Richard Pitino’s team.

Gach shoots just over 40% from the field, and brings in a career 81.1% from the charity stripe. As a team last season, the Gophers shot 69% from the free throw line.

Though the waiver had been expected, it is big news for the Gophers’ just over two weeks away from the season starting.