Sally’s Saloon recently renovated a section of their building on Wednesday. The renovation includes a new large TV and a bar. The expansion was finalized at the beginning of the month.
Sally’s Saloon opens new expansion

Dinkytown McDonald’s closes after 57 years of business

Community favorite “Drunk Donald’s” is expected to reopen on the ground floor of the CA Ventures development.
The McDonalds located on the corner of Fourth Street Southeast and 15th Avenue Southeast is seen on Saturday, Aug. 31. The proposed development would replace Mcdonalds as well as other popular businesses such as Dinkytown Wine and Spirits.
Image by Jack Rodgers
The McDonald’s located on the corner of Fourth Street Southeast and 15th Avenue Southeast is seen on Saturday, Aug. 31. The proposed development would replace Mcdonald’s as well as other popular businesses such as Dinkytown Wine and Spirits.

After 57 years of business on the University of Minnesota campus, the Dinkytown McDonald’s has closed its doors, according to signage posted around the building.

Following a yearslong battle over its fate, the McDonald’s located on the corner of Fourth Street Southeast and 15th Avenue Southeast has been closed for construction. Although the existing structure is slated to be demolished, the restaurant is expected to reopen on the ground floor of the CA Ventures apartment development.

Construction on the apartment complex is expected to begin in summer of next year, pending approval from the city.

Jermel Spears, a supervisor and general manager at the Dinkytown McDonald’s, declined to comment on the closure of the establishment.

This is a breaking news report. More information may be added as it becomes available.

View Comments (39)