Gophers women’s gymnastics dominates Nebraska on senior night, move to 6-2 on the season

Freshman Mya Hooten earned a perfect 10 on floor as the Gophers cruised past Nebraska for their fourth consecutive team victory.
Image by Brad Rempel
Courtesy of Gopher Athletics

The No. 5 Gophers women’s gymnastics team dominated Nebraska at Maturi Pavilion by a score of 197.400-196.150 Friday evening to improve to 6-2 on the season and remain an undefeated 4-0 at home. The team’s total score marks the sixth highest in program history.

“We are really proud of where we’re at,” Gophers head coach Jenny Hansen said. “I’d say even more so excited about where we’re going.”

Led by all-around seniors Lexy Ramler and Ona Loper in their last meet at the Pavilion on senior night, the Gophers saw consistency throughout all the meet’s events, with their lowest team score being 49.250.

For the sixth straight week, another spectacular performance from Ramler earned her the all-around title. She earned 39.725 of the teams’ total points, tying for the second highest score in Gophers program history. Loper came in a close second all-around place with 39.525.

Freshman Mya Hooten scored a perfect 10 on the floor, the third perfect 10 by a Gophers gymnast this season. She is the first Gopher in program history to achieve this feat on the floor.

“She did all the little things we have been working on,” Hansen said. “It is really exciting to even know that you have the potential to achieve a perfect ten. Not everyone has that potential, but she does.”

The Gophers once again responded to mistakes when needed.

“I think it shows their fight and how tough they are,” Hansen said. “We have to be able to come back after a mistake. You’re bound to have mistakes. It’s how you respond to the mistakes that really matters.”

Junior Tiarre Sales scored 9.675 on the floor and junior Ali Sonier scored 9.600 on the beam. However, both of these scores were dropped and did not affect the team total.

Vault — Team Score = 49.250

Led by Hooten and Loper, both scoring 9.875 to tie for second place, the Gophers started their evening on the vault.

Ramler scored 9.850 to finish in fourth place, while sophomore Halle Remlinger and redshirt sophomore Maddie Quarles also competed on the Gophers vault team, scoring 9.825 to tie for fifth.

Bars — Team Score = 49.325

Led by Ramler scoring a near-perfect 9.975, which ties her career-high and earned her the bar title, the Gophers continued their dominating performance through the bars.

“[Ramler] is amazing,” Hooten said. “Every day at practice, she’s so consistent. We can always count on her to hit her routines.”

Loper and Sales matched each other’s scores, both scoring 9.875 to tie for third.

Remlinger, Hooten and senior Hannah Willmarth also competed on the Gophers’ bar team. They all scored 9.800 to tie for fifth.

Beam — Team Score = 49.250

The Gophers beam team suffered mistakes from Sonier (9.600) and junior Abbie Nylin (9.675). Nylin’s score counted in the team total. However, Ramler and Sales had magnificent performances to keep their overall team score at 49.250.

Ramler scored 9.975 to win the beam title, while Sales scored a season-high 9.950 to earn second place.

Loper and redshirt senior Mary Korlin-Downs also competed for the Gophers beam team. Both scored 9.825 to tie for fifth.

Floor — Team Score = 49.575

To close out the evening, the Gophers floor team scored a total of 49.575, tying the program record on the floor. Hooten led the record-tying total by scoring a perfect 10, earning the floor title.

“I cannot explain this feeling,” Hooten said. “It truly is a dream come true and this is a moment I will never forget.”

“A perfect 10 for Mya has always been a goal,” Hansen said. “It was so fun to see her do it tonight and absolutely nail her routine.”

Loper scored 9.950 to earn second place, while Ramler scored 9.925 to earn third place.

Sophomore Mallory LeNeave and freshman Emily Koch also competed for the Gophers on the floor. LeNeave scored a 9.875, while Koch posted her second highest floor score of the season at 9.825.

What’s up next

The Gophers will look to continue their hot four-meet win streak as they go on the road for their season finale to compete against Illinois on March 13 at 1 p.m. The meet will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network.