UMN College Republicans post and delete tweet saying Trump’s response to racial justice protests “not brutal enough”

After the student group posted a tweet calling for a “greater” state response to Black Lives Matter protesters, the group’s president quickly issued an apology.
Image by Andy Kosier
National Guard and law enforcement officers form a perimeter around the Minnesota State Capitol on May 31, 2020.

On Monday afternoon, the University of Minnesota’s College Republicans club tweeted — and quickly deleted — a statement saying that Black Lives Matter protesters “are anarchist terrorists.”

The tweet was screenshotted and shared by Ricardo Lopez, a reporter at the Minnesota Reformer, and garnered backlash from the community. In response to the criticism, the account posted an apology.

The student who posted the tweet has since been “heavily” disciplined and no longer has access to the group’s social media accounts, according to Chase Christopherson, president of the University of Minnesota’s College Republicans.

Christopherson, a fourth-year student said the student group does not support what the student said and “wholeheartedly condemn[s] it.”

“It’s just not right to say that, [to] make such broad generalizations,” Christopherson said. “We stand by people fighting for police reform, like common-sense police reform. We support the kid’s right to freedom of speech, but we’re not going to let them voice that on our account.”

He said that within the group, opinions on police reform vary; however, he said that as a group, they believe that police should be held accountable for their actions.

“We do support the police, but we also support the right for people to protest against the police,” Chrisptherson said. “When the police do wrong, and the police do wrong, we’re right next to the people protesting, until it turns violent.”

Though Christopherson said conservatives are generally not ones for political correctness, he apologized for the tweet.

“Obviously conservatives, generally, they don’t like to say, ‘Oh we don’t want to offend anybody,’ but if it actually hurts somebody, genuinely I’m sorry.”

The Tweet swiftly prompted condemnation from University community members and beyond.

“Your finger doesn’t just slip and accidentally type a long, violent, and racist statement,” wrote Brian Evans, communications director for the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party.

Some did not find the student group’s apology satisfactory.

This is a breaking news report. More information will be added as it becomes available.

View Comments (3)