What you should watch this Feb. 14 depending on your Valentine’s Day vibe

Whether you’re heartbroken, in love or somewhere in between, add these films to your V-Day itinerary this year.
Aevdaymovies
Image by Mary Ellen Ritter
Aevdaymovies

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, your love life (or lack thereof) might be on the brain a little more than usual these days.

But you can celebrate the upcoming holiday whether you’re in a committed relationship, heartbroken, in a talking phase or two, waiting patiently for “the one” or anywhere in between. Whatever your Valentine’s Day vibe might be, here are some movies to top off your Feb. 14 plans.

For post-breakup blues:
If you’re recovering from a breakup this Valentine’s Day (or even worse, missing a toxic ex), give “Jennifer’s Body” a try. This ultimate cult classic film starring Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried is about as far from a romance movie as you can get. Jennifer Check, played by Fox, is a demonically possessed high school cheerleader who kills and feeds on her male classmates. Watching this on V-Day might validate any resentment you’re feeling towards your ex-partner, because a little bitterness is certainly better than bloodthirst.

For the honeymoon phase:
If you’re spending Valentine’s Day head over heels in love, you and your partner should incorporate “Moonrise Kingdom” into your upcoming date night. This iconic Wes Anderson coming-of-age film perfectly encapsulates everything sweet, blissful and innocent about lovesickness. The story follows two kids who fall in love through pen pal correspondence and ultimately devise a plan to run away together, causing chaos in their New England town. If you would rather do anything than be apart from the person you love, this is the movie for you.

For when it’s complicated:
Maybe your love life is all over the place, scattered between multiple talking phases all while you’re still pining for your ex. If so, you might relate to the complete and utter chaos that is “Shiva Baby.” While attending a Jewish funeral service alongside her parents and family friends, a college student named Danielle (Rachel Sennott) winds up running into her sugar daddy with his wife and child. As if that weren’t enough, her ex-girlfriend Maya (Molly Gordon), for whom Danielle has some unresolved feelings, is also attending the service. If your current romantic endeavors feel like a bit of a claustrophobic mess, this is the drama for you.

For “Galentine’s Day:”
If you’re planning to stay in with friends this Valentine’s Day, grab some snacks and turn on “Palm Springs.” In this comedy, Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti play two wedding guests who get stuck in a time loop, reliving the same day over and over again with each other. This film offers a lot of laughs topped off with a bit of romance and makes for a perfect movie night with your besties.

For manifesting your soulmate:
If you’re spending this Feb. 14 daydreaming about the future love of your life, “Before Sunrise” should be your Valentine’s Day watch. The young Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Céline (Julie Delpy) are strangers separated by different countries and walks of life, until they meet on a train headed to Vienna. With their small talk comes a budding chemistry, and the two decide to disembark together for a romantic journey that can only last until sunrise. Give this film a try if you’re dreaming of meeting “the one,” and who knows, maybe you’ll find your own Jesse or Céline on your next light rail trip.

For putting yourself first:
If you’re on your own this Valentine’s Day, don’t sweat it— there’s a certain beauty in being single and prioritizing self-love. “Legally Blonde” is a great watch for those looking to celebrate singleness. When Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) gets dumped by her boyfriend, she follows him to law school in an attempt to win him back. But once Woods realizes that she’s defined by more than her relationship status, she starts prioritizing her own dreams, and everything soon falls into place. If you’re looking for a little single empowerment, this movie is right up your alley.

For celebrating queer love:
The tragic queer love story trope is represented far too often in media, frequently depicting themes like heartbreak, violence and death. But in reality, queer love doesn’t always end in tragedy. If you’re looking for a heartwarming LGBTQ+ romance that doesn’t rely on trauma, check out “But I’m a Cheerleader.” Natasha Lyonne stars in this campy comedy as Megan Bloomfield, a high school cheerleader whose parents send her to conversion therapy upon suspecting that she’s a lesbian. She befriends another girl at the camp, Graham (Clea DuVall), who she begins to have feelings for. This kitschy, brightly colored film highlights the beauty, rather than the pain, of queer relationships. If straight love stories aren’t your go-to for romance media, this movie is a great Valentine’s Day option.