Goldy’s first prom crowned

Friday unveiled Goldy’s Prom, hosted by Goldy’s Gameroom.
Image by Amelia Roessler
Goldy’s Prom was held at Goldy’s Gameroom and featured a dance floor, DJ and food.

The first-ever Goldy’s Prom danced its way into Goldy’s Gameroom at the University of Minnesota Friday evening. 

The prom transformed a game room into a dance floor, featuring a candlelit, decorated room with a DJ and food for the participants to promenade. 

Scout Albrecht, the senior student manager of Goldy’s Gameroom, said they decided to do Goldy’s Prom because they were looking for events the game room could put on. 

“We wanted to do something fun, so we put this together,” Albrecht said. “Mostly just looking for an event that was just like, not really having one thing, that you’re just kind of hanging out.” 

Albrecht said they planned the prom over a couple of months but added it ties in well with seniors graduating now as they are the class that did not have a high school prom due to the pandemic. 

According to Albrecht, the idea of having Goldy’s Prom was brought up in a meeting a while ago but whispers of doing a prom circulated before that. 

“Everyone who works here is excited about the event, like people volunteered to take this shift specifically so that they could be a part of it,” Albrecht said. “I think it’ll be really fun for everyone to bring something else to it.” 

Elizabeth Gust, a first-year student, said the event sounded fun and she encouraged her friend Lara Huns to join her in attending. 

“I like going to dances, so I made Lara come with me,” Gust said. “I hope they keep doing it.”

Huns, also a first-year student, said the setup was nice and she appreciated the aesthetic. She added she enjoyed the rock candies and snacks provided.

“Yeah it’s a good setup, the little candles are cute,” Huns said. 

Gust said Goldy’s Prom reminded her of her high school prom and thought it was authentic. 

While prom is uniquely an American thing, it is not everything the movies crack it up to be, Albrecht said. 

“Having just kind of this like random casual event kind of takes all the pressure off of it,” Albrecht said. “It’s not something that you have to spend money for, it’s not something that you have to like, really plan in advance. You just show up with your friends and you have a nice time.” 

Abi Martin, a student worker at Goldy’s Gameroom, attended the prom and said it was fun and had great snacks. 

Makenzi Jenneke and Mandy Wyllie, Martin’s friends, also attended the dance. 

“We just came with because we thought it would be fun,” Jenneke said.

Wyllie said they requested the song “Cotton-Eyed Joe” and it got people dancing. She added she and Jenneke tried to get the DJ to play “Chop Chop Slide” next, but the DJ refused. 

Katie Mitchell, a second-year student, said she attended the prom because her friend saw a flyer and thought it was cool. 

Mitchell said she wished the prom had more advertising but enjoyed hanging out with her friends. 

Albrecht said she does not know if the prom will continue in the future but sees it as a possibility if people enjoyed it. 

“I think people want an excuse to wear formal wear sometimes at a thing that’s not so formal,” Albrecht said. “If it goes well, if people are into it, I could see them doing it again.”