UMN Board of Regents approves tuition increases

Tuition will rise by 4.5% for in-state students at the Twin Cities campus.
Interim President Jeff Ettinger speaks at the Board of Regents meeting on June 13.
Image by Bianca Caputo

University of Minnesota students will see up to a 5.5% tuition increase next year following the approved annual budget at the Board of Regents meeting on June 13.

Twin Cities campus tuition will increase by 4.5% for in-state students and 5.5% for out-of-state students. However, all five campuses’ student bodies will experience tuition increases of at least 1.5%.

This tuition change will leave Twin Cities campus in-state students with a yearly cost of approximately $18,000 in the upcoming school year, according to calculations by the Minnesota Daily. The increase is part of the $81.3 million budget initially presented at the meeting on May 9 and 10.

The budget passed with a 9-3 approval; Regents Robin Gulley, James Farnsworth and Bo Thao-Urabe did not vote to approve the budget due to tuition concerns.

“I’m really struggling with what feels to me like a significant increase for students,” Thao-Urabe said.

Regents who approved the budget said they felt this was the best solution in a tough financial year due to the lack of state support.

“We would have had a whole different conversation if they would have come through,” Regent Mary Turner said. “But they didn’t, and that’s the reality.”

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated the percentage increase in the lede. Students will only see an increase of up to 5.5%. Quotes from Alice Roberts-Davis were removed for accuracy.

View Comments (3)