Following new state COVID-19 restrictions, University to close museums, sit-down dining

University gyms and entertainment venues will close Saturday, and dining options will shift to “grab and go.”
Image by Hailee Schievelbein

The University of Minnesota will implement new restrictions in compliance with Gov. Tim Walz’s Thursday announcement that is set to halt dine-in services at restaurants and bars, close facilities like gyms and event spaces, and restrict social gatherings.

Starting Saturday, the University will make changes to dining, gyms, entertainment venues and college athletics, according to an email from University President Joan Gabel. Classes and research will continue as planned from the start of the semester, with instruction largely taking place online.

All dining locations will switch to “grab and go” until the start of spring semester. All indoor museums and entertainment venues will be closed, but outdoor programming may continue and any retail stores in these locations can remain open.

All gyms and recreation centers will be closed to students, except to athletes on the University’s varsity teams. Athletic competitions will continue, but only student-athletes and coaches will be allowed to attend events.

As planned since the start of semester, blended or in-person classes will switch entirely to distance learning on Nov. 30.