One death, one injury reported from Dinkytown shooting Monday night

The shooting occurred at approximately 11:10 p.m., according to an all-campus alert.
Police+officers+responded+to+reports+of+a+shooting+in+Dinkytown+late+Monday+night+on+March+29.+
Image by Tiffany Bui
Police officers responded to reports of a shooting in Dinkytown late Monday night on March 29.

One person was confirmed dead and one person was injured and hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries following a shooting in Dinkytown late Monday night, according to a Minneapolis Police Department spokesperson.

Law enforcement, which included MPD and UMPD officers, responded to reports of gunfire on the 400 block of 13th Avenue Southeast shortly after 11 p.m. Monday night, according to MPD spokesperson John Elder. Both victims were males. Neither are a University student, staff or faculty member, per a SAFE-U alert.

Police officers retrieved three guns outside of Kollege Klub, a popular Dinkytown bar. There is no active threat, and MPD is not looking for additional suspects, Elder said.

Portions of 13th Avenue Southeast, near popular student apartments and hangouts like Burrito Loco and Frank From Philly and Andrea Pizza, were blocked off with police tape as of 11:45 p.m. The shooting took place outside.

An all-campus safety alert notified students of the shooting shortly after midnight on Tuesday, with an updated alert sent out the following morning.

One witness near the scene, a female who lives in the area, said she saw a black car pull up near the Kollege Klub. A male hopped in the vehicle before the car sped off, she said.

MPD is investigating the shooting, and both UMPD and MPD will assign increased patrol to the area.

This is a breaking news report. More information may be added as it becomes available.

View Comments (3)