Breaking: UMN to require COVID-19 vaccine upon full FDA approval

The FDA is anticipated to formally approve multiple COVID-19 vaccines in the coming weeks, according to University President Joan Gabel.
Image by Hailee Schievelbein

The University of Minnesota announced Monday plans to require the COVID-19 vaccine for its campus community upon formal approval of the shots by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration

The announcement comes one week after the University reinstated a campus-wide mask mandate.

Upon formal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of any COVID-19 vaccine (anticipated in the coming weeks), the University will add the COVID-19 vaccine to those immunizations already required for students, with appropriate exemptions,” University President Joan Gabel said in an email to the campus community. 

Minnesota law currently requires all students attending a college in the state and born after 1956 to be vaccinated against tetanus, measles, mumps and rubella. 

“With the comfort associated with FDA approval, we will join a growing list of public colleges and universities across the country that are taking a similar approach, including, but not limited to, Michigan State University, Purdue University, the University of Florida, and many of the nation’s leading private colleges, including many in Minnesota,” Gabel said.

Details regarding how to report vaccinations and consequences from non-compliance are forthcoming, Gabel added.

She also encouraged those with questions to attend an upcoming virtual town hall with herself and other University leaders on Aug. 18.

View Comments (4)