Opinion: Don’t be afraid of downtown Minneapolis!

The best way to improve downtown starts with spending time there yourself.
Image by Pooja Singh
Despite its imperfections, downtown Minneapolis is a beautiful and rewarding place to explore.

Every day at the University of Minnesota students eat, sleep and study within sight of one of the largest urban centers in the country. Yet many of us fail to engage with downtown Minneapolis frequently, if at all.

Whether due to concerns of crime or a general lack of familiarity, most students keep their lives confined to campus, with downtown serving little purpose beyond a backdrop for some scenic photos.

However, ignoring downtown means leaving a massive untapped potential for social, cultural and economic experiences.

According to Adam Duininck, President and CEO of the Minneapolis Downtown Council and University of Minnesota graduate, many other universities do not have access to an urban area as unique as downtown Minneapolis.

“My biggest draw to a campus like U was its proximity to downtown,” Duininck said. “It’s a big differentiating factor. Most of the Big 10 schools are in smaller towns like Madison, or at least not areas with large downtowns — thriving downtowns — like ours.”

Yet for many residents and students alike, downtown Minneapolis is immediately associated with one immense negative connotation: crime.

Bryan Weber, a downtown Minneapolis resident who moved to the Twin Cities in 2022, said he appreciates downtown for its variety of public spaces, such as Nicollet Mall and Government Plaza.

“There are a lot of people who do drugs and sketchy stuff,” Weber said.“They’re unpredictable, but you just don’t walk right next to them.”

Weber’s concerns reflect those of many locals who steer clear of downtown, dissuaded by assumptions and generalizations about crime. Ultimately, Weber and thousands of others choose to spend time downtown anyway, and most of their worries fade when considering the actual crime rates, simple safety protocols and potential benefits of downtown life.

The true statistics of crime in downtown Minneapolis show that it is far safer than many assume, and continues to improve with every passing month, according to Duininck.

“We watch these statistics and the reports very closely,” Duininck said “Crime is down here in this first quarter of 2024, anywhere from 15 to 20%, depending on the category.”

According to Duininck, the decrease in crime coincides with a greater law enforcement presence downtown in recent years.

“Our city has been through some tough times in the last few years,” Duininck said. “But I think what’s emerged is a significant commitment from the Minneapolis Police Department and some of the other bodies that oversee safety, such as the Metro Transit Police Department. Our own Downtown Improvement District is active in the public safety space.”

The effectiveness of law enforcement, plus simple mindfulness of one’s surroundings while downtown, are echoed by Twin Cities residents.

Darcy Frank, a volunteer for the Jehovah’s Witness church located downtown, spends time with her colleagues exploring the streets and skyways of Minneapolis.

“I definitely wouldn’t want to be walking around alone in a lot of it,” Frank said. “But we usually pair up, and so I’m not too worried about it.”

Similarly, Weber practices personal safety by avoiding certain parts of the light rail while traveling downtown.

“If you’re afraid of downtown Minneapolis, just don’t get off at the Franklin or Lake train station, and you’ve probably got nothing to be afraid of,” Weber said.

Downtown Minneapolis holds dozens of attractions for people as close as the University or as far away as international countries.

For many people, including Frank, Weber and myself, the best parts of downtown lie in its simple beauties, such as the relaxing sound of an ornate water fountain on Government Plaza or Nicollet Avenue, the astounding architecture of locations such as the IDS Center’s Crystal Court, the massive network of skyways or the diversity of thousands of people coming together in a single location.

Amid these unique locations also lie a wide variety of opportunities for anyone seeking entertainment or cultural experiences. For many years, downtown Minneapolis has been a hub for sporting events and massive concerts, which have only increased in popularity.

“Our attendance of events is through the roof,” Duininck said. “We had over 9 million people attend concerts, sports events and other things — conventions, conferences. We had the highest hotel occupancy last year that we’ve had since 2019, and the highest transit ridership.”

Downtown Minneapolis is an equally good location for smaller outings. Duininck said some of his favorite memories from his years at the University included going to bars, restaurants and theaters downtown.

The solution to downtown Minneapolis’s problems is twofold. It is not merely the responsibility of organizations like the Minneapolis Downtown Council, which continues to unite businesses and community members to improve downtown through active events and communication. It is also a situation we can help improve just by interacting with the vast opportunities downtown already has.

“Active streets are safe streets, so the more people that are downtown, the more feeling of safety it cultivates,” Duininck said.

Spending time downtown is not just beneficial for your experience, it also sparks a feedback loop that continues to improve the city for us all.

View Comments (9)