Breaking: Gophers athletics announces full capacity for sporting events

The first ticketed Gophers sports planning on full capacity are football, soccer and volleyball.
Fans cheer for the Gophers after winning the game against Penn State at TCF Bank Stadium Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019. The Gophers won 31-26 bringing their record to 9-0. A first since 1904.
Image by Sydni Rose

Gophers athletics announced Tuesday morning that it plans to have full capacity for sporting events when teams return to campus next fall for the 2021-22 season.

“We are excited to safely welcome fans back into our venues,” Gophers Director of Athletics Mark Coyle said in the email announcement. “We will follow all University, local and state guidelines, and we are looking forward to our fans once again providing a tremendous advantage for our Gopher student-athletes when they compete on campus. We are so thankful for our fans, donors and sponsors who helped provide necessary resources for our student-athletes last season, but we missed seeing and hearing them at games.”

The first ticketed Gophers sports planning to have a full capacity starting next fall are football, soccer and volleyball.

Gophers football and volleyball have set schedules for the upcoming season, while soccer has a conference schedule set but is still establishing nonconference matchups.

“We cannot wait to welcome everyone back to campus in a few months while still providing our fans with a safe and enjoyable experience,” Coyle said in the email.

Gophers football opens the 2021 season against Ohio State University at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 2 at TCF Bank Stadium. Gophers volleyball kicks off the 2021 fall season against Baylor University in the Big 10/Big 12 Challenge on Friday, Aug. 27 in Madison, Wisconsin.